Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everyone,
    I hope this is the right forum...long story short is there anyway around the problem I'm having with my image map. Specifically, I can get the image map to work fine but only when the image itself (which needs to be quite large as it's a custom map of europe with certain countries being clickable) has its size fixed in pixels.
    This is a bit of a problem for me as the website itself has a liquid design so it scales well when viewed on monitors of a smaller size/resolution- of course when the image shrinks, the defined regions move!
    Is there anyway to change this? I originally hoped the defined regions would scale appropriately because I had falsely assumed the browser (IE8 btw, business decision) would define the regions based on the uploaded image not the image scaled by coding. Is it possible to make browsers do this, or change the units of the co-ordinates so that the co-ordinates are percentage based as opposed to pixel?
    Your help is greatly appreciated!
    Cheers,
    El

P.S. If there is no workaround, could you suggest a fixed width size that would work on most monitors without looking messy? I've been suggested that 700pixels is best but to be honest, 900 pixels would reasonably be the smallest I could go to without having to re-work the whole thing.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    It might be possible with Flash, but not HTML.

I'm curious to see what your map looks like,
    and why 900 is the smallest you can go.

I assume you've already looked at other map ideas?
    http://www.google.com/search?q=europ...+map+clickable

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You could do this with back-end coding. What platform is the website hosted on?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    php gd-lib. javscript detect screen, print-save image. gd-lib resizing is pretty simple. but as Mr Smoselely inquired, you will need a host supporting or willing to support the gd-lib.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Remove Ads