Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,
    I have seen this on many websites and am just wondering what is and how it works.
    What I have seen is a html page that is called a series of numbers separated by commas and underscores. For example: http://www.ingrammicro.com/us/0,,151..._15108,00.html

How does that page work? I am assuming it is a dynamic page, but is given a static page name. How is the page name generated?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Michael

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Most likely, you're talking about either PHP or ASP.
    These server-side programming languages reside on the server and you are
    correct, they are dynamic pages. This forum you're using right now is an
    example of that ... it's all PHP and MySQL.

If you have a website, your webhost most likely already has PHP installed for you to use.

There are so many ways to use PHP, CMS (Content Management Systems), and
    what you're describing is too abstract for examples. Give us the URL to your website,
    and specifically what you would like to do.

Member #
    Hi mlseim,
    Thanks for your response.

The URL in the original post is an example that I am looking at. If you go to that website, you will notice that many of the pages are HTML pages that are named (I am guessing dynamically) with a series of numbers separated by commas and underscores. I have seen this a lot on my travels.

Thanks for your help,
    Michael

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    They're using an interesting technique ...

If you go to this URL:
    http://www.ingrammicro.com/us/0,,151..._15108,00.html

And change some of the numbers, like change 15180 to 15170 ...
    It affects what content appears.

I'm guessing they're doing tricks with .htaccess.
    But, it all falls into the "dynamically" category.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by praemus
    For example: http://www.ingrammicro.com/us/0,,151..._15108,00.html

How does that page work? I am assuming it is a dynamic page, but is given a static page name. How is the page name generated?
    Most of the time, sites like this are generated using a database and CMS back end. The database keeps track of things like the page names and associates them with unique IDs. Then when those IDs are entered in the URL, the server knows to query the DB for the page information to go along with the URLs.

It's ultimately more complicated than I can really explain in one forum post. But suffice it to say they have something on the back end (PHP, ASP, .htaccess, Java, etc.) that is capturing the URL and delivering the page data from a database.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Provided they're using Apache, then they're using mod_rewrite which accepts the URL in a very much user-defined format and sends it to the proper script for execution. It's a very common technique, especially nowadays, to make the URLs more SEO and human friendly versus having a million request arguments added to the URL.

It was popular a few years ago to believe .html at the end of a URL would make Google rank the page higher because it would think the page is static HTML and therefore more targeted and focused content over something server-generated, but I doubt it was the case then and it's definitely not the case now. The example you provided is actually terrible for this considering it's just a series of numbers and punctuation with ".html" tacked on the end, so Google wouldn't see anything useful in the URL itself and nor would a human.

Should you get into any server-side web frameworks, you'll run into this with the framework's dispatcher which lets you define a map of URL formats ("routes") to various actions in your application.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads