Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Im curious to find out what browsers everyone is coding web sites to be compatible with.

For me IE6 is where to start on PC anything earlier is a lost cause. I recently worked with a company that insisted on not supporting IE6 anymore which I kind of had and issue with.

So lets just say there are 100million web users in a specific area.. If 10% of them use IE6 then thats 10million users your not creating a web site to be compatible with. This seems like very bad practice imo.http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

What browsers do you code web sites to be compatible with?

What browsers do you start development with?
    Call me crazy or old school but I use IE6 to get the site started and then debug in Firefox and IE7. I have better luck getting everything working across browsers with no hacks that way.

Member #
    Well it all comes down to the demographics in your target market, but in general I'll develop for IE7, 8, FF 2, 3, Safari 3, 4, Chrome. I personally don't care for many others, although I might try and develop for Opera a bit more, but that's a niche in the market. IE6 is a bonus but I don't spend too much time on it since it's a dying breed. It's pretty old now.

Member #
    I am a newbie. From this thread, I learned that I should think about compatibility for browsers other than IE and FF as well when designing web pages. Thanks guys.
    I am happy working on the following: the first, the second, and the third.

Member #
    I do agree IE6 is slowly going way but users running widows 2k IE6 is the only windows based browser available.

Alot of government, city, and companies are still running win2k.. Im on windows 2k IE6at work right now..lol

So ya I guess it would depend on your target audience but I dont belive you should close any open doors either. I also think you need to take into consideration what type of site your building too.

Thanks for the comments!! Anyone else have any feedback?

Member #
    what's win2k? never heard of it.

Member #
    sorry for the abbreviation windows 2000 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2000

Member #
    ok, thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    About 1/3rd of my sites visitors that use IE are using IE6 so it pays for me to design for IE6 and beyond.
    Rich

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    At work, nearly all of our new projects don't support IE6 anymore. One of our clients is quite a big name so that says something.

Still, Diddy is right, depends completely on the target market and what's the sacrifice made if IE6 isn't supported: a degraded display or a broken application, for example.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I mostly focus on Firefox, IE, Safari and Opera(in order of priority).

I am sure that you are aware of tools like browsershots.org which we can use to test compatibility .
    Find Reliable Website Hosting providers - compare good web hosting companies.
    Developer links and tutorials - Web design and programming related social bookmarking

Remove Ads