Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: CSS Reset

Banned
    Member #
    Where do people stand on CSS resets?

I used to use
    CODE
    * {margin: 0; padding: 0;}
    to cancel all the browsers' default margin and padding.

But I've been reading recently that a lot of people don't use this anymore as it creates more work later on by cancelling margin and padding on certain elements which need margin and padding, such as form elements.

Is it best to reset default styles only for certain elements, or just let the browsers do their thing?

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I always reset.
    Then adjust anything that needs it.
    Adjust as little as possible, trying to keep it simple.
    I also don't like using any IE hacks.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I used it on one project at work two years ago, but then maintenance turned into a headache to this day, and it continues to be a headache. In principle, it's a great idea--make every browser render the same unless you tell it otherwise. In reality, it just means you end up writing tons of code for something that you don't even care about; for example, you don't care about how the browser would render a <strong> tag by default, but you'll need to make it bold manually anyway. You end up with a messy style sheet with contradictory or redundant definitions everywhere.

As I've gained experience with CSS, I've found that the more you understand why the box model is designed the way it is, the less code you have to write to achieve an effect, and the more compatible that code ends up being. As dry and boring as it is, the CSS specification is incredibly useful to read and understand: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/ .
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Spam removed / spammer banned. Good question though
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads