Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    If i understand correctly the spiders look at the content highest up on the page. The way my page was laid out it has the testimonials and opt-in box as some of the first content on the page. i want to move these down without changing the layout of the page. Do i do this within CSS?
    i tried to just cut and paste the div id which contains the testimonials and container down below everything but it changed the layout.
    this is page I am referencing: http://www.lowcostloanmodification.com

Member #
    There is a lot of argument about what search engines do and don't do. But a good rule of thumb is to think of your HTML as a ticker tape.

The search engine spider starts at the first line (your DOCTYPE or <html> tag) and reads it through sequentially line-by-line.

If you put the most important content first in the HTML, the spider will see it first, and (most people assume) give it slightly higher weight than content appearing later.

This is one of the reasons that tables for layout can be problematic - as the first column is usually not the body column, but a column of navigation or even ads.

I couldn't view the page you listed, so I can't say exactly what the problem is. But most of the time, using CSS you need to use fixed positions for your divisions. Then placing the content div first won't change the layout.

It's possible to also use floating positions and put your content div first, but it's a bit trickier. I've got a free template for a 3-column layout where the content div is listed first on my site: http://webdesign.about.com/od/freewe...xiblewidth.htm

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Fixed link.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads