Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,

first off, hello to you all, this is my first post in these forums.

I really hope someone can find what the root of my problem is.

i have been designing my site using DW CS4, and have been proofing the layout and appearance on Firefox, IE8 and Opera, just to be sure i get a similar layout.

I uploaded my files yesterday to see how they look online and found that my home page was totally distorted, no background, images where floating everywhere, etc. However, the other page's layouts seem ok. Needless to say, the affected home.html page appears perfectly fine when viewing in any browser on my PC, this only seems to happen when running off the web. I tried on 2 different hosting sites too, same effect.

Here's the URL, hope someone can identiofy whats caused this. The CSS file is the same used for all pages, so cannot understand why only the 'home.html' filer appears in this manner.

URL is : http://www.manutd-gib.com/new/home.html

I hope someone can help, its probably an idiots mistake i've made somewhere.

thanks

de049 ;-)

Member #
    I don't know what you mean images floating everywhere and background missing, but I'm seeing this: http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1263/manutdu.png
    As one thing to recommend to you, get rid of the blinking! It's annoying, people don't like it, I'm sure it might look cool to you, but not for others. It's one of those golden rules, keep the text readable. See that blur and imperfection in your images(buttons and stuff)? yes? Use PNGs, not JPGs or at least maximize the quality of the JPEGs.

Member #
    hi,

thanks for the reply. i actually got the page re-done late yesterday and forgot to add to this post. my apologies.

that said, i do have other questions based on your comments:

- you say use PNGH instaead of JPGs? Isnt that bad practice? these are all PNGs saved as JPGs for web use, but i thought there would be a compatibility issue when using PNMGs online? Found various sites and forums saying PNGs are used to design the image, then JPG for the online version. Would there not be browser incompatibilities is i use PNGs?

- The blinking text, i agree. Its disgusting. however, hear this. Every morning i came to the office, remove the BLINK option on the CSS style that does this on the table and save the doc. All is good. Then next morning, it reappears!"!!!

I dont loose anyother file changes therfore its not a question of the fuile being restored by a backup, etc.

Any ideas? i use DW CS4.

thanks again for your time pal.

de049

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    de049,

It's fine to use PNG for developing and then convert to JPG, but as Baniboy
    mentioned, you can control the "quality" of JPG/JPEG images. Most photo
    editors default to 75% quality. Change it to 100% quality and when you
    convert PNG to JPG, you won't get any smearing or loss of quality.

PNG's are fine to use on website also ... the only issue with PNG, is the transparency.
    With IE5, IE6 ... and not sure about 7 or 8, they can't render the PNG transparency
    correctly. It's a known problem with IE. But other than that, PNG is perfectly good.

Member #
    cheers

Member #
    You can use PNGs with IE7 and IE8. You can add different stylesheets(give different backgrounds, the jpg files, in css) by using conditional statements
    HTML Code:
    <!--[if IE]>
    Wazaaaa!?
    <![endif]-->
    or for ie6 specifically:
    HTML Code:
    <!--[if IE 6]>
    Go get a real browser, grandma!
    <![endif]-->
    Although other IE users should be told to get real browsers, too. Anyway, add new style information in there with style tags(forgot to mention, do this all in the head tag).

Doing that you'll have nice pngs for the sane people and blurry JPGs for the ie6-using people

Another thing is sometimes the max. quality JPG might actually have a larger file-size than the PNG, which is a lossless format.

Remove Ads