Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,
    I have two problems with my site: www.aeoliaphotography.com

1.) I used some javascript "cut and paste" code to create drop down menus, although they work great in firefox and safari, one of them (the one with "horizontal" list items) is not working correctly in Explorer 8. The code is not valid... from what I understand the <li> tags are not allowed to be outside of <ul> tags. Basically I am asking how to order my lists so that they work in all 3 browsers. An example would be ideal as I am a somewhat new designer and am trying to get my site up asap so that I can use it as a portfolio site.

2.) My second problem can be seen on my "about the artist" page. For whatever reason, possibly related to problem #1, my container div will not include its nesting divs when the height is set to "auto" (It is not set to auto right now). I really need my div to stretch down to provide a black background for my white text (Right now it is at a set height and I don't like the way it looks). Any help that you can provide on the subject would be much appreciated... I can not figure out why it is acting so oddly.

Thank you so much! :-)
    April

Member #
    A touch of bad news... I only have access to IE6 (don't even get me started) so I cannot really help with the IE8 issue... and you really should look at your site in IE6, since I can only assume it has serious display issues if FF is accurate. And the rest of my comments are from a FF perspective

A touch of good news. It's fine to nest a <ul> inside an <li>. The <div> inside the <li> is strange to me, but I don't know if it's incorrect. It definitely looks like extra markup for no reason.

Regarding your second question, if you remove the height from div#menubar, and define the background with a no-repeat, you'll probably be not need the height on div#container. As an aside, my style is to keep stuff very simple, and I would remove the image entirely (from div#menubar) and create the same effect with a black background and a border.

And some unsolicited help: div#menubar is not closed after the menu, which could also be contributing to the height issue.

And another thing you don't want to hear, but someone should tell you: There are serious usability issues with your third level navigation... When I go Portfolios>Travel>China, I have to move my cursor at an angle super-fast or the menus slide in before I'm able to select anything. (All of the third level menus are like that.)
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Ah! I found one thing that's causing an issue in IE6... the menus have a background image in lieu of text, so once again, add a no-repeat.

for example
    before
    Code:
    #about {
    background-image:url(images/about.png);
    }
    after
    Code:
    #about {
    background-image:url(images/about.png) no-repeat;
    }
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    this is in html and css. wdf has a javascript section to post javascvript questions.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    not too sure if this would work but it might be useful to try... if you have used css with the navigation bar then perhaps you could put the <li> as an 'inline' display using 'display:inline' in your css but to do this you may have to put your nav bar in a <div> but maybe not depending on how you have arranged it in your coding. if you have any questions about this or wish to tell me how you have arranged it to see if i can help you if this doesn't please ask x

Remove Ads