Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Cascading Form

Member #
    Basically I need a form that has two drop down boxes and they second chanes based on the first, and depending on the second either a checkbox or another form comes up. Seeing as how Im a beginner and Im lerning as I go along, I wound up getting completely lost. If anyone has any advice or can point me to a tutorial it would be very very much appreciated!!!

Member #
    You need to get familiar with javascript to be able to do this.

Member #
    I have some javascript in there I was looking for something more specific. Ill post up what I have so far.If you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Wow actually just pointing out that it was javascript helped me out alot. Before I was just searching cascading dropdown which didnt really help me at all cuz I kept getting stuck. Thank you. p.s. any additional or specific ino would still e really helpful

Member #
    Hide the second selection menu using display: none; and then have javascript change the selection menu to display: block; based on the value of the first menu.

So make selection menus for all of the variations you want. Then have javascript enable visibility one at a time based on the value of the first selection menu.

Another thing you might want to try is to fit them all in one selection menu. Just give sub-selections a padding and use labels as those "hardware" and "software" selections.

That's how I would do it.

Member #
    :thumbsup:Wow thank you so much Ill get to work on it.:thumbsup:

Member #
    How do I make javascript enable visibility based on a previous selection.

Member #
    Code:
    if(*selection menu value condition here*)
          {
            document.getElementById(element).style.display = 'block';
          }
    That should be enough to change visibility. For getting form input value you could take example of many javascript form validators.

Remove Ads