Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey, this is my first time designing a web page and that's one more than I would've preferred, haha.

I'll come out and say right now I know basically no html or css, which has made things kind of hard. What I've been doing for the site so far is copying the source scripts of existing web designs i like and posting it in to dreamweaver, where i then edit the stuff in the design WYSIWYG section.

I've run into a problem though, because the menu bar is based off a remote style css or whatever, and i need to change some of the images in the menu. so i copied the remote css file and saved it to my drive, but when i changed where it gets the style css in the web page html, my web page no longer looks good and instead looks awful and like something pumped out in microsoft word, even though i haven't changed anything in the css document yet!

what's going on and how can i fix this?

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Not much we can help with unless you have a webhost where you can upload your site.
    Then, give us a link to your URL, so we can see it.

Member #
    i hadn't even thought of that haha

http://www.newsboys.com
    ^^^original site

http://www.brianreesemusic.com/index.html
    ^^^my site

i'm not entirely done changing things, the part i'm having problems with is the menu bar. for example, where it says "tour," i want it to say "bio." i have the image to replace it with, but i can't change the remote css and i have problems already mentioned when i try to use a style css on my drive.

hope this helps

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Don't you feel the least bit guilty about totally ripping off someone else's design? And you're using files off their server? You're a musician right? What would you do if you walked into a club and saw some other band performing one of your songs? Think about what you're doing.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    It's OK to learn about HTML, CSS, etc from other websites. Learn about techniques,
    how things are done, and ideas to use for your own websites.

To actually use someone else's design, graphics, themes, etc. is unethical.

If you truly love their design and wish to "copy it", you should email the site owner
    and ask them for permission.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    considering the site itself is not very well done its kinda like ripping off a hobo anyway. you may want to consider the school you attend and being laughed at when you start sticking your neck out to show off a site that sucks. if you have dreamweaver and attend a good school just get one of your artists buddies to hook you up with some graphics and read a few tutorials.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    To answer your question,

I know what you are going through.
    The problem is that you have made a mistake when linking to your css file and this has caused the site to look like you typed it up.
    Make sure that your css file is in the same folder as the html file and then use this code:

<link href="[YOUR CSS FILE NAME].css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />

Rename the bit clearly marked in captials to your own css file name.

Oh and I really recommend downloading a free template and use that to build your own design. It really helps to get over the learning curve.
    Also if the page you are stealing from is copyrighted,. then you can get yourself into big trouble.

Hope this helps.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by manner97
    To answer your question,

I know what you are going through.
    The problem is that you have made a mistake when linking to your css file and this has caused the site to look like you typed it up.
    Make sure that your css file is in the same folder as the html file and then use this code:

<link href="[YOUR CSS FILE NAME].css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />

Rename the bit clearly marked in captials to your own css file name.

Oh and I really recommend downloading a free template and use that to build your own design. It really helps to get over the learning curve.
    Also if the page you are stealing from is copyrighted,. then you can get yourself into big trouble.

Hope this helps.
    Just looked up those two links you gave.
    Man you are really really cheating.
    Everything is exactly the same.
    No one may never notice but if some one searches "brianreesemusic", because you posted your link on this website, your forum post on this website will be ahead of your own website because this website is extremely well search engine optimized and your site is only new and therefore not.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    that also means when the original site owner or someone they know searches for their site to check on seo or any other reason they will find this and you will then have issues. kinda ratted on your self just a little. man stealing code can be tricky.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    To BDR's defense ...

He/she is using someone else's site to learn about making their own.
    I suspect in time, they will "make it their own" ... it's a matter of not
    knowing how to do it. So, I'm sure they are are now aware of the
    copyright issues ... moving on ...

Using a "public" free CSS template is the best idea.
    A great way to learn how to use CSS and make simple web pages.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads