Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I just had a brief comment I wanted to make about that scripting technology for web page styles that they call "Cascading Style Sheets".

OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW FREAKIN' COOL THIS CSS STUFF IS!!!

Excuse me for my newbie exuberance but I can't believe what CSS just did for this page of mine that I've been working on. This page consists mainly of a massive table about 80 rows by 7 columns with three different variations on the font style.

with this much code in a .css file:

Code:
    body {background-color: #000000}
    tr {background-color: #333333}
    tr.black {background-color: #000000}
    p.h {font-weight: bold}
    p.l {text-align: right; font-size: x-small; font-weight: bold}
    p.n {text-align: center; font-size: x-small; font-weight: bold}
    I was able to take a page that weighed in at 53,751 bytes and slim it down to 40,082 bytes!!!!! And of course, changes are now as easy as a little tweak to the .css file. What was I thinking procrastinating a single day on learning this stuff???

Not that this will be any news to 98% of the folks at wdf, but for anyone who wonders if it's worth the time - learn this stuff. CSS rocks!

(I can't believe I sound like I just did a commerical for CSS, but I swear I am just so totally geeked on what it did for my web page I'm beside myself.)

Okay then, carry on.
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    CSS is powerful, I am familiar with what you just posted, but there's so much more stuff that I wish I knew. It can do more than most people realize.

Member #
    Basically I got the same effect when moving from formatting text as I went in wordprocessors, to using styles. You change one style, it changes them all, and then you just 'label' different sections of text.

It looks like you've learnt how styles are applied to elements, and how you can make a class apply to elements.

You might want to learn about:
    • Styles that apply to elements within specific elements, eg:
      p {style stuff}
      td p {style for paragraphs within tables}
    • Hyperlink styles and their pseudo-classes,
      a:link { ... }
      a:visited { ... }
      a:active { ... }
      a:hover { background-color: #something different; text-decorartion: underline; }
    • All the special styles, eg
      table borders, styles for input elements (textarea, button etc)

And lots of other stuff.
    James H
    Home Page · Mars Page · www.fihsf1.net (formerly www·fihs·net)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    If you guys think CSS rocks, you should check out XML / XSL-T. That is the BOMB !!

XML is the extensible markup language, which means that you can create your own elements.

XSL-T is a subset of the XML Stylesheet Language - Transformation (turns XML into HTML - or anything else).

Basically, if you're generating a table that lists stuff, you could use XML and XSL-T to auto-generate the table, similarly to working with a database

I'm currently redoing my homepage as an XML-based site :-P

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'd love to learn XML but just don't have the time

But yes, CSS rocks, but take my word for it... don't get too carried away. The first version of my school's CS page was eating up 100% CPU for like 5 seconds to render the page on brand new Dells (I only went CSS to the max because I could be assured 95% of people were using Windows XP on 1ghz+ machines). *Drools over transparency some more*
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The new WDF for vB3 style set will be nearly entirely CSS-driven. If I'm insanely bored, I'll even make it XHTML compliant but don't get your hopes up .

CSS saves a ton of otherwise redundant coding.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Just curious, but to the casual visitor, what kind of improvements might we notice in an XHTML complaint WDF?
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Theoretically nothing. However the uber reliance on CSS has resulted in some freaky things, like the underlines popping up when you hover over the category names loading instantly instead of the tiny lag. Also it makes the page drastically smaller because it doesn't have to put <font class="nf"> everywhere now, for example.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Cool. I know as a programmer I'll work long hours getting things running smoother under the hood even if the changes are totally imperceptible to the user.
    ~ mikeycorn

Remove Ads