Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    On my site:
    www.telesummitevents.com/speaking/

The formatting between the two browsers are night and day. The proper formatting of the site is viewable on Firefox, but once you go to IE it is thrown out the window. The preview option in Dreamweaver is giving me the proper format but it only runs the issue when seen on IE.

For example on IE:
    There is too much spacing between the text, it is all bolded, and the bullets are centered rather than left aligned. I am not sure if it is the html or the css that might be causing this problem.

Please help.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    The biggest problem is that you are using CSS to style our site,
    but yet, you're using <font> tags and other stuff within your HTML.

No reason to use any <font> tags or any other stylizing tags that
    are not with your CSS stylesheet. Try removing all of those and
    define your font family, colors, types, sizes in your CSS.

Banned
    Member #
    I totally agree with you. While designing the problem always occur with the IE browser. So for website designing testing should be done for most popular browsers. And as far as my experience is concern xHTML has removed this issue because it is based on the standards.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    your problem aside from using dreamweaver is ie automatically gives margins that are not part of any standard. there are two things you should do from the beginning of a design to make it cross browser compatible. these two steps alone will solve 99% of the compatibility issue.

zero your margins at the top of your css. the bad part is that for the work you have done this may require you to manually give margin in places it is required. the alt fix is to zero the margins only on the elements ill effected in ie. i recommend you get used to zeroing from the start.

* { margin: 0px; }

the other has to do with controlling the default rendering in ie8 to what ms calls non- compliance but in reality is compliance. they just cant get used to the fact they no longer set those standards. if you use the following line you may need to clear cache before you will see the results because ie stores the rendering setting in cach and needs to be re-cached with this meta line. i assume you know to place meta tags in the <head> of your index.

<meta http-equiv='X-UA-Compatible' content='IE=8' />

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Remove Ads