Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello everyone,

I built myself a page in Dreamweaver and made a template from that .html file. Viewed in the browser, the template looks exactly the way it's supposed to.

Now, however, I made a new .html page from that template and no matter what I try, every time I view it in my browser (Firefox) it looks totally naked, as though no styles were attached (which is not the case). It looks fine in Dreamweaver. The only thing that I noticed in the design view in Dreamweaver is that the links in my spry navigation bar - that CS4 provides - are all black now, the rest is in its original condition.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem? I'd be willing to send the files to those who might be able to help. In any case, your help is greatly appreciated.

Joe

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    You're new to WDF. Most of us (speaking for myself), don't have time to install
    all the files people have (HTML, CSS, graphics) into our PC's.

Upload your website files into an online website and give us the URL.

If you're getting into doing websites for yourself or others, you should already have
    your own webhosting account to use. You can get cheap hosting for only $40 per year.

When you have your web pages online, give us the URL.

Member #
    I'm pretty sure it's a case of the style file not being included properly. Try this.

1. Move the .html and .css file to some other directory. Make sure they're in the same directory.
    2. Open the .html file in notepad.
    3. Find the stylesheet link in the head.
    4. Remove the ref contents, replace with just "name.css", replacing the "name" with the CSS file name.
    5. Open the .html in browser.

Personally this is why I don't let dreamweaver manage my files for me.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Definitely a CSS path issue. Is your new HTML file in the same folder as the one you copied it from?

Member #
    Default.html and new.html sit in my site root folder, so does the original html file that I used to create the template. The template is located in the templates folder and so on. The css files are in the css folder. I am not sure what is supposed to be wrong about this. The only explanation I have is the code itself. I am just wondering why the same code works perfectly fine and the next moment I make a template using the exact same code and make a new html file from that, the html file doesn't work (in DW) anymore.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Joe ...

I realize you're just learning, and that's a good thing.

I also noticed you are creating an online store. You probably already know that
    in order to accept credit cards online, it will be necessary to have a credit card
    merchant to accept online sales.

This opens-up a whole new aspect to your site ... a "gateway" is required to
    handle the transaction, and also a means of administering the items, costs,
    photos, users, inventory, shipping, etc.

So, if you are planning on having a whole online "shopping cart" experience, you'll
    be required to use some sort of server-side scripting (programming) most likely,
    PHP and MySQL.

With that said, you'll be better off finding a free pre-made online script, like
    Magento, or Cube-Cart ... something like that. You will customize those templates
    instead of making your own from scratch.

If I'm correct about the goal of your website, now might be a good time to
    look into a pre-existing script, and you'll have to dive into the PHP/MySQL part of it.

Member #
    Yes and no. That is what I wanted at the beginning but due to me not being able to realize that myself, I decided on a product catalog rather than an actual store.
    I don't want to spend too much money on that just now. I believe this is the best and cheapest way for me now.
    Agreed, it's unconventional, but I am everything but an expert on this entire thing. However, it is a lot of fun to see things work out the way I want them to, but this current problem really gives me a headache. Does anyone have any idea why it is loaded correctly when uploaded on the the internet, but not when I view it in my Browser while still working on it in Dreamweaver?
    I realize, this might be a "internal" Dreamweaver issue that is unique to my very program, so I am not expecting noo much advice.

Member #
    You need to get out of dreamweaver for a second here. Just open your .html file (on your computer), the one you're having problems with, in notepad. Give us everything within the <head> tags and we'll see if anything looks suspicious.

I'm pretty sure it's because the CSS links are referring to the root ("/css/something.css", notice the first slash). On the web, the root is your site URL. But on your computer, it's the drive's topmost directory. Try removing the slash.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Yes, change the CSS links to simply "layout.css" and put the file in the same directory as the HTML.

The last editable region is empty. There's also a blank style declaration at the bottom, and those JS blocks should go in their own external file.

Member #
    Steax,

Thank you so much for your help - it really worked! Now I know what you meant by "don't let dreamweaver manage [your] files", I totally agree. As for the JS and the empty declarations in my file, it's all DW's doing, I did not put them there - at least not on purpose. I actually trusted that program and hoped it to be smarter.
    Anyway, I can finally remove those files I uploaded.
    Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads