Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm designing some tabs for a website I'm making. The tabs are contained in a UL, which needs to have a gradient background across it's entirety. This is good to go, but I had to change the width of the UL so that the background didn't span its entire parent element.

I changed the width and checked it in Chrome, and it looked fine; there was no gradient background visible to the right of the last tab. However, when I viewed it in Firefox, the last tab went to the next line, like it wasn't fitting.

I changed the width of the UL by one pixel until all of the tabs were on the same line in Firefox, but Firefox still displays extra space next to the last tab. I can see part of the gradient background after it, which is not what I want. It looks the same in Chrome.

I am just confused, because after I changed the width so Firefox would fit the last tab, it still showed extra width after the last tab.

Here is what I have:
    http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/1...omeffpxwtf.png

(The red lines do not exist, they are just there to divide each example, and the lines on the right show where the UL width actually stops.)

The top two are with width 325 pixels; Chrome and then Firefox.
    The bottom two are with width 320 pixels; Chrome and then Firefox.

As you can see, in Firefox with width 320 pixels, the last tab goes on to the next line.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

UPDATE: Now the 320 pixels width doesn't work in either browser, but both still show five extra pixels on the side.

Thanks.
    stickynote427

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well the only thing we have to go on is a width rule. I believe your problem lies somewhere else like maybe a ul indent or something. Got a link?

Member #
    Well, your reply actually led me to measure the actual width that I was seeing, and it was not in fact 325 pixels like I thought it should be. I "inspected" it in Google Chrome and found that I had actually set a 5-pixel right-padding on it for some reason.

Problem is solved now, thank you very much!

Remove Ads