Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi, I'm very new to web design, and since it is summer, I have really started to work hard on learning how to code/design,etc. I am new to this site, and fairly new to web design and coding. I just completed my first website (well, first that I coded completely with little outside help). http://ilikewallpaper.byethost9.com/ It's nothing special, but it's a start.

Anyways, on to my question. I wanted to challenge myself a bit mroe, so I found a free .psd on deviant art, that I am going to code just for practice. Here is the link: http://patqueisler.deviantart.com/ar...e-PSD-15021710

My question is how do I slice this? The background and main text area can just be one color, so I will need the oranges, the logo and the navigation right? How would I go about splicing the navigation? Would I just make each section (news, team, clients...etc) its own image and link that image to the corresponding page? I think heard/read somewhere that its not good to use images for buttons, but I don't know how to do this otherwise. Thanks for the help. :nervous:

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I think you mean "slice", no?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley
    I think you mean "slice", no?
    Yeah, oops. I mean slice.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Don't slice the image.

Take bits and pieces from the image, and code it using tables or divs from scratch.
    Carnavia is a Web Design Company that specializes in Web Design, Graphics and Internet Marketing. You can visit their Web Design Blog to learn more.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by yousaysomething View Post
    Don't slice the image.

Take bits and pieces from the image, and code it using tables or divs from scratch.
    Just Say NO to tables unless it is a data table. Placing images in tables as a design practice is a definite NO NO.

George

Member #
    Learning to use CSS in web design is Extremely important, Search for 'listomatic' or 'css menu' to add style to your menus with css. Definitely avoid slicing and tables as much as you possibly can. Good Luck!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeO View Post
    Just Say NO to tables unless it is a data table. Placing images in tables as a design practice is a definite NO NO.

George
    George,

Just to make sure there were no misunderstandings. When I said take bits and pieces of the image and place them into tables or divs, that meant to take the psd image and cut it up. I did not mean to put images into tables, but there is nothing wrong with that.

If your comment is about not using tables, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. If you are worried about SEO, take a look at this video about how coding websites in tables does not affect SEO whatsoever: YouTube - Are CSS-based layouts better than tables for SEO?
    Carnavia is a Web Design Company that specializes in Web Design, Graphics and Internet Marketing. You can visit their Web Design Blog to learn more.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yousaysomething View Post
    If your comment is about not using tables, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. If you are worried about SEO, take a look at this video about how coding websites in tables does not affect SEO whatsoever: YouTube - Are CSS-based layouts better than tables for SEO?
    Oh please don't start this debate...

Read this Yousay

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Unfortunately, the debate will never end.

You ironically posted "please don't start this debate" and provided a link to a website against tables. If we were to search for all the links against divs and tables we would find more in favor of using divs.

The website you posted said nothing about Search Engine Optimization. Please make sure you read the posts you reply to so you know what is going on.

I'm sure you never watched the video that Matt Cutts made about his opinion about divs and tables. But this is what he said, "Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. We see tables, we see CSS, we have to handle them both....I would use what's best for you."

If you don't know who Matt Cutts is, look him up on a Google Search.

Take care, Friend.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, you're right, I don't know what's going on... I read your post and just can't figure it out. The video is a whopping 49 seconds, which won't persuade me to think "Oh, tables are okay after all". The tone in his voice says it all when he talks about "web 1.0". There are numerous reasons why tables are not the choice of professionals AND amateurs, taking SEO out of the equation doesn't change it..
    Ok, I shouldn't have posted the link as an instigator, and this is all I have to say and I'll let you have the last word... friend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads