Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a purely-CSS drop-down menu that I built from scratch, and some JavaScript tabs I found on DynamicDrive. I'm not sure why, but whenever I click on any non-drop-down menu items, the tabs lose all of their formatting and all of their content shows up.

This is the page on which this happens:
    www1.dcsdk12.org/secondary/hrhs/vimenture/index.php

I'm using Firefox 3.6.4. It doesn't seem to happen in Google Chrome or IE8.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    stickynote427

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    try making your drop-down position: absolute, and z-index 10000 so it doesn't interfere with the tabs, but just drops over them.

Member #
    I tried setting z-index and position on several elements, and it didn't solve the problem.

It's not really that the drop-down interferes with the tabs (it doesn't drop over them), it's that whenever I click on one of the menu items, the tabs lose their formatting for no apparent reason.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Are you using jQuery for your drop down? If so, your selector is probably grabbing all "li" elements, including the ones used to generate the tabs.

My guess is you're doing something like $("li").attr("class", "over") or other selector that includes the tabs. Look at the source to see what the proper selector is for each. You may need to add an ID to the wrapper of your drop down to be more specific in your selector.

Member #
    No, I created the drop-down menu only in CSS; there is no JavaScript associated with it whatsoever (which confuses me even more as to why it would be affecting the jQuery tabs).

I think I may just create my own tabs from scratch or find different ones online. If you have any other ideas, please post them here. Thank you for all of your help so far.

Remove Ads