Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Dear All,
    I've just recently begun to build my website. On a page, there is a text area with a Submit button below it. The user enters text in the box and then clicks submit. Text box is submited to the server which it then posts to the same page. The problem is that, when the entry is multiple lines long it gets posted to the page as one single long sentence running off the right side of the page. I am using Microsoft Expression Web 4. I have tried using a line break and justify margin settings, but to no avail. The text still gets posted as a single long line of text instead of marginalizing it into multiple lines.
    Thanks in advance for help,
    Elwood

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Text boxes post back with line breaks like "\n", you need some sort of string replace in your server side code in order to show the breaks in html (as html does not display "\n" as a line break). You need to replace the "\n" with "<br />", or you can use one of the millions of javascript rich text editors that are out there. They'll auto-format the text as html before it's sent to the server.

Member #
    Need more help

Hi, what would you say is a good rich text editor to use in this situation. Once i download it how do i install it and how do i configure it to replace the "/n" with "/br" Thanks,
    Elwood

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Here's a list of 10: 10 jQuery and non-jQuery javascript Rich Text Editors

The article tells you a little about each one. I'm not sure what sort of feature set you require, so you're going to have to read through and figure that out. Can you tell us a little more about your requirements?

TinyMCE and fckeditor are among the most common because of their vast amount of features, but I have the feeling that they're way more than you need. I would guess that the YUI editor is about what you would be looking for, though you can configure which features you'll allow on almost any of the editors.

Once you pick an editor, there should be tutorials and documentation on how to get it to work available from the author's website.

Remove Ads