Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi guys. First post. Have just got into web design in the last month and am learning as i go. I am building a site for a friend and for some reson i really wanted to make a opaque (semi-transparent) border around the main container. I have a image for the main background so couldnt just use a color to get effect. Now, after about 5-6hrs of fumbling around a finaly got it and it looked perfect in IE, but when viewed in FF or GC iits NOT perfect.
    So, i made the opaque border by placing an empty div with size to match my main container with the border that i wanted opaque, at the bottom of my page and used a -1500px placement and z-axis:-10; to get it to overlap the main container above it thus locating the border around my main container and then made this div opaque to get exactly what i wanted.

Now problem in FF and GC is that they are still show the empty div at the bottom of my page extending 1500px below my content and the overflow:invisible is not affecting it so there is a hugh empty space at the bottom in the browsers.
    If anyone can suggest a solution to this i would be extremely thankful.
    my site is.
    OpenDNS

thanks heaps, hope this make sence. ps. im new to web design so excuss the code. cheers:-D

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think the position relative is what's doing it. "The space it would have occupied is preserved" or something like that.

I tried wrapping your content with the opaque div and made some other adjustments, and it looked good, but... the opacity cascades to the divs inside. Tried z index to no avail. So if you know how to solve that you could do it that way.

I don't know man, I was really intrigued by your concept so I screwed around with it for about an hour! But I'm sure the relative positioning is what's doing you in. Seems like I'm missing something but just can't think of it right now.

Member #
    hey man.
    Cheers for the help. Yep im only new to this and have run out of ideas to get it to work. But id be gutted to keep going with the site without the opaque border, not because i think it looks amazing or anything, just because trying to solve an extremely difficult problem is the best way to learn new stuff and because ive already spent heaps of time on it. but i'll keep trying. hopfully someone else has more ideas.
    cheeres.

Remove Ads