Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I'm a novice web designer that makes sites from time to time, but I have minimal knowledge of actually coding the websites, so I generally just slice up my PSDs and import them into Dreamweaver as html, which codes everything in tables.

Right now, I'm working on a design that seems to align properly in Dreamweaver's visual editor but when I go to preview it, the tables seem to shift strangely.

The misalignment started, I believe, after I added padding to the text in the content area.

Anyone have any idea whats causing this problem? Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the problem. Thanks anyway for those who viewed.

Member #
    I believe people should have stopped using tables in web design about 5+ years ago. You should learn some CSS.

Just like you wouldn't ride a horse to the local market, you shouldn't use tables for any website's main layout.

Member #
    Tables are meant for putting some information onto a website like a price list or something. Tables are not made for a design.

Member #
    Yeah, I'm as anti-tables for design as the next guy, but I really don't have any other way to do it since I use Photoshop and Dreamweaver almost exclusively for my design. I'm like 95% designer, 5% developer; I code only when I need to.

I'm hoping to study python or ruby on rails when I have the time so my websites aren't so buggy all the time.

etm
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sainclaire View Post
    Yeah, I'm as anti-tables for design as the next guy, but I really don't have any other way to do it since I use Photoshop and Dreamweaver almost exclusively for my design. I'm like 95% designer, 5% developer; I code only when I need to.
    Dreamweaver has some fine CSS editing capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by WPExplorer View Post
    Just like you wouldn't ride a horse to the local market, you shouldn't use tables for any website's main layout.
    *Gets off horse, shuffles awkwardly.

Member #
    Agreed. If you are using Dreamweaver you can learn basic CSS in a matter of minutes

Member #
    It might seem hard to do but once you learn the basics, creating a website layout using css becomes like second nature.

To get started, do Google searches on "css layout" and look at the code for several structured layouts until you get an idea of how it works. I've found that some of the best learning experiences you can have is copying someone else's code and rewriting it to your needs, looking up what you don't understand. Just be sure you use your own work in any final productions.

Remove Ads