Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    stay with me on this one, please...

[Background: someone told me once that a typical browser (IE)...with the monitor set to 1024 X 768...will display as 1003 X 567.]

so w/ the little guy still in mind, I design my web pages for that size...& also so that they will center on larger monitors &/or higher screen resolution settings.

I use a simple CSS parent & child layering system of coding in the Body for that purpose:

Code:
    <body>
    <div id="Layer1" style="position:relative; width:1003px; height:567px; margin: 0 auto;">
      <div id="Layer2" style="position:absolute; left:0px; top:0px; width:1003px; height:567px; z-index:1; background-color: #00FFFF; layer-background-color: #00FFFF; border: none #000000;"></div>
    </div>
    </body>
    & in the Head I just set my margins & padding to zero as follows:

Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    body, html{
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    }
    </style>
    SO...I set up the following simple test page, which has both parent & child layers set to 1003 X 567. The child layer has background color. Open the page; & minimize / resize your browser so that there are NO horizontal & vertical scroll bars (then maximize to see the background color layer perfectly centered):

Untitled Document

NOW...go to THIS page...set up exactly the same way codewise (except for the height of the parent layer...which should only have an effect on the vertical scroll bar)...where the three images you see are spread to fill the 1003 px wide parent layer perfectly...

...& you'll see that that when your browser is minimized (from the previous resizing)...this page is WIDER...& a horizontal scroll bar has appeared:

West Jersey Hike Club: Crystal Lake Park ~ South Forest Rim Trail

please view the source code for both pages & tell me freakin' WHY...???

thanks,

mark4man

etm
    Member #
    Just to note, its generally standard practice to design a site for 1024x768 browsers at 900px, 960px or 970px. When you go absolute maximum like you are, you are assuming people have their browser window fully maximized, which many do not, nor intend to when viewing your site.

Member #
    etm...

thanks for that...good info...

...BUT...

the problem here is that there are two different results w/ the same coding:

the test page...the one w/ a background color layer...does not show a scrollbar.

the 2nd page, which is coded the same (horizontally)...does.

that's what I need to figure out...why the difference between the two ? (& then obviously make code repairs to the 2nd page...which will be a legitimate page from my new hiking site)

thanks again,

mark4man

Remove Ads