Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello, I am new to web design, and I have a few questions to ask before I start.

1)If I wanted to make a website that lets people draw on it. Not complex drawing, just simple lines and the option to change the color of the lines. Even more basic than paint. What language will I need use?

2)If i started out with HTML, CSS, ect. Will I be able to use flash, Javascript, ect. later on? like on portion of the site might only need html and css, but the more dynamic portions might need java and flash. Can I use multiple language on one site?

Yea, the question might be dumb since I'm know nothing about web design. But I do plan on learning. Thanks a lot for the help.

Member #
    Im Not to familiar with it, correct me if im wrong. But I think it would be JavaScript language. Im thinking thats what it is.

Member #
    HTML, CSS, and Javascript are the things you charge to know, because those are the things that absolutely get beatific to the browser. It's acceptable to accept a basal compassionate of how XML differs from HTML, so that you can use XML/XHTML tools. If you're accomplishing adorned being you'll charge a bigger compassionate of XML.

The added languages --- Java, Ruby, PHP, Perl, Python, XSLT, and so on and so on --- you can aces and accept which ones you learn. Probably, you'll acquisition some of them added to your affection than others. Odds are that you'll alone do a little programming in these languages, but mostly use some array of agreeable administration arrangement accounting in one of these languages. Knowing the accent your CMS is accounting in can be helpful, depending on this and that.

If you were hiring yourself out, you'd charge to apperceive added of the server-side languages, but back that's not your intention, I'd alpha with HTML and CSS, again already you accept a handle on that, apprentice JavaScript and alpha attractive at CMSs.

FYI, JavaScript and Java are different languages (other than a accepted syntax acquired from C). Netscape aloof chose that name to jump on the Java bandwagon.

Member #
    Cool, thanks a lot. I'm gone look at JavaScript than.

Member #
    what did they used

"http://www.dabbleboard.com/draw"

don't need something this advance, but this is the idea.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Right click the site and you'll see it's flash.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I would avoid using flash as much as possible. Javascript would be much more usable and 'lighter' on bandwidth. Plus its mostly future proof, whilst the future of flash is looking very bleak.

I would recommend learning these (in this order)

XHTML
    CSS
    Javascript
    PHP (you'll need it at some point, even if its just the basics).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RickM View Post
    I would avoid using flash as much as possible. Javascript would be much more usable and 'lighter' on bandwidth. Plus its mostly future proof, whilst the future of flash is looking very bleak.

I would recommend learning these (in this order)

XHTML
    CSS
    Javascript
    PHP (you'll need it at some point, even if its just the basics).
    Thanks for the post. I'm working on XHTML and CSS right now. Will the basics be enough? I'm reading " Build Your Own website the right way using HTML and CSS ", ed. 2. and what books is recommedned for Javascript and PHP.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    The book you're using now for HTML and CSS

I'm reading " Build Your Own website the right way using HTML and CSS ", ed. 2.
    is a Sitepoint book - they have three very good books on Javascript - I can recommend "Simply JavaScript" as the very most basic one to start with.
    I own "The Javascript Anthology: 101 Tips, Tricks and Hacks" and it looks great - I just have to find the time to actually READ it!

There is another one - "
    No Nonsense XML Web Development With PHP" that covers a good bit of territory, including some javascript, but I have not read it, yet.

I will say this - I really like the Sitepoint Books - the step-by-step layout is easy to follow, and they can be used both to learn the stuff by going through from beginning to end, and as a reference later on. Not to mention the nifty code snippets...

I hope this is of some help to you -

Cheers,

Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Find some similar to your project sites and look up the source file or code. It may help you to clear up what language or tools to use

Remove Ads