Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm using OSX, and the site renders exactly as I want it to in Safari... but won't render at al in Firefox.

If I look using XP, the site renders (almost) right in Firefox but won't render at all in IE.

HTML validators don't tell me anything, CSS validators don't tell me anything, and javascript validator doesn't really tell me anything.

Is there a rule that says you can't build a site with Javascript using onload?

I don't have any server technology available to me...

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Best bet would be to post something we could look at?? I personaly look at all my sites in every browser I have available.

Member #
    Content:

<head>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="scripts.js" language="javascript" />
    </head>

(problem solved - see below)

<head>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="scripts.js" language="javascript">
    </script>
    </head>

Member #
    more info...

Don't know if this is helpful, but when I view the source usinf Firebug, it loads an empty body tag:
    <body></body>
    and dosen't show anything in it. why????

Member #
    Ok so I finally found it... the "stupid f..king retarded missing semicolon" causing the problem.

In case anyone else has a similar problem, this is a short summary of the problem and this is what was wrong and how to fix it:

I built the site using DW CS3 in OSX. The site rendered beautifully in Safari. Then when loaded in firefox, I got nothing but a blank page. To make matters more complicated, after uploading the thing to a test file on the server, loading the page on a windows machine, Firefox loaded the page just fine while IE showed a blank page. (Chrome rendered it correctly also, but Chrome doesn't have enough market share for me to care at this time). When looking at the page in Firebug, it appeared as though there was nothing in the <body></body> even though the page source showed what was supposed to be there. It was as if the <head> tag was never closed... the </head> was shown but it wasn't purple, like the opening <head> tag.

Here's what went wrong: In the index.html, in the head of the document, I loaded the script using <script type="text/javascript" src="location.js" language="Javascript" />

Apparently, the weird behavior was from browsers not recognizing the /> as closing the tag. So I added a </script> and suddenly the problem was solved! I did this several times with several variations to re-replicate the problem and re-solve it just to make sure it wasn't just messing with me and indeed... this was it.

Member #
    The browsers were rendering any and all content after your opening script tag as javascript, therefore giving you the blank page. Although you already found this out, I thought I would provide a link to the script tag and it's properties, as defined by the W3C.

HTML 4.0 Script Tag
    Don't forget to Rep people if they've helped you, it's just the right thing to do.
    My Site - JJ's Webs
    My oDesk Profile - Hire me on oDesk
    My Themeforest Profile - Just for you TF people!

Remove Ads