Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a floating menu in position fixed to bookmark stuff in the social media in my blog: The Federal Reserve will buy $600Bn in federal bonds | The Web Tycoon's blog

And I need it to begin not in the top of the page, but beside the post, and then stay fixed on the top when scrolling down. (like the one in the posts of mashable)

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Not sure what you mean. Look on w3.org for 'align' and 'absolute position' and fool around with that. Your floater looks good but you just need to move it to the left, into the margin and out of the way of text. Probably you can just add CSS code, either inline or in an appropriate style sheet. Inline would probably go like this, inside whatever <> create that floater:
    style="margin:0em 0em 0em 0em; padding:0em 0em 0em 0em"

There are perhaps "better" ways to write this, but this works for a beginner, and each "0em" allows you to fiddle with all margins in this order: top-right-bottom-left.

Padding might or might not work. But if it works, can do about the same thing as "margin" and is more consistent between browsers. Read about it at w3.org.

P.S. you can also try negative margins. The following inside the code might move the floater to the left by the distance of about 1.5 letters.
    style="margin:0em 0em 0em -1.5em; padding:0em 0em 0em 0em"

Member #
    This is hard to do with position:fixed div box. Try to use a script for that that moves position:absolute around the page.

An example closer to your case:
    Absolute Floating Menu confined mode demo - Javascript Tricks and Code Samples
    with source code downloadable at:
    Absolute Floating Menu - Javascript Tricks and Code Samples

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    just make one for each post and use the parameters provided by each network to define what is being liked and shared. what you are asking can be done by javascript but i think it's one of those things that sounds better then it turns out to be. fixed cannot be confined by any means to any element.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Remove Ads