Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Good afternoon WDF! Sorry for the crummy subject line.

I am a little concerned about where to put this post, but it's a CSS question more than a Drupal question so:

I'm currently running a Drupal site using the "960 Robots" theme -- that is, a theme based on the 960 grid system. And I'd like to stick a horizontal login bar somewhere and get rid of the "Personal Block" that Drupal offers as a block.

I know how to define new block areas, I know what I need to do to get the horizontal bar in the first place...my only problem is getting the CSS to cooperate with my efforts!

By the way, the address of this site is Welcome! | DC Area Transit Zone.

I thought originally I'd put it in the brown bar at the very VERY top of the page, but that's just a border and not like an empty table cell (can you tell I'm new to this whole CSS design stuff?). If I can still use that area, well great.

My next thought was in the breadcrumbs area, on the far right, but there are no breadcrumbs on the homepage and that screws everything up...though I might be able to force a "Home" breadcrumb to show there.

The third area, which I'm slightly more reluctant to use (but still open to) is to the right of the menu links at the top of the site - however, if I add one more, there might not be enough room.

Lastly, the area around the photos is a distant fourth option. But, if I have to go there, I will to make it work without the awful personal block taking up so much space from main content!

So again, I just need a pointer on the CSS element of it. The main.css file is what generally controls the display of site items.

I'm willing to drop cash for this if necessary, if that sort of helps grease the wheels a bit!

Member #
    Thinking about the issue, I think I want to put it in the main menu area. The form is arranged, if I'm not mistaken, as list items, which I can then arrange horizontally. Any thoughts?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Hi - i don't know much about Drupal, but can you hand code any of it? If you can, try this
    Code:
       <div id="navbar">
          <div id="nav"
              <ul class="links primary-links">
                 <li class="menu-479 active-trail first active"><a class="active" title="Start all over again" href="/">DCATZ Home</a></li>
                <li class="menu-485"><a title="Discussions" href="/forum">Forums</a></li>
               <li class="menu-483"><a title="Media Library" href="/media">Media Library</a></li>
              <li class="menu-484"><a title="About DCATZ" href="/about">About DCATZ</a></li>
             <li class="menu-481 last"><a title="Transfer Point" href="/xferpoint">Transfer Point</a></li>
       </ul>        
    </div><!-- end nav -->

<div class="login">
    <form method="POST" action="http://YOUR_DOMAIN_HERE/login/login.php">
      Username: <input type="text" name="username" size="15" />&nbsp;&nbsp;
      Password: <input type="password" name="passwort" size="15" />
         <input type="submit" value="Login" />
    </form>
    </div> <!-- end login -->

</div><!-- end navbar -->
    In your CSS, Style your "login" div like the "nav" div but alter the position so it is on the right side of the bar.

Please bear in mind that this is just for layout and so:
    1.) this is a best guess on my part, as you are using absolute positioning and I almost always use relative.
    2.) this is not a functional login - you'll have to tweak the code, but it gives you the layout
    3. this requires a login.php file to make the form work - you'll find lots of tuts online for that

Good luck,
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Yea that didn't work, it ended up hidden behind the header image. I did a lot of messing around with stuff but never got anything close to look right because: I don't know what I'm doing.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Can you tell me which is your main CSS for the layout - maybe I can play a bit - i love CSS puzzles...
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    It's main.css...

960.css sets the grid.

Puzzle away!

Member #
    For AlphaMare or anyone else who wants to take a stab, I just wanted to clarify what the desired outcome would be (see attachment).

$$ still on the table, name a price if that motivates you...if not for yourself, a charitable donation in your name.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Remove Ads