Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm encountering some workflow headaches, and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

At our shop we divide web development between traditional backend developers (SQL, .net, older & weirder stuff) and frontend developers who do the graphic/web design and preliminary HTML mockups. The backend developers prefer to work from production ready HTML mockups and slice them per constantly evolving business rules.

As a frontend guy, I'm having to maintain an increasingly unmanageable library of mockups due to the number of applications we work on and the endless customization done for clients. As changes accumulate, mockup families have to be updated, one mockup at a time. I need some kind of local, DRY templating system where I can make a single change that cascades to all relevant mockups, but one that allows me to deliver standalone, production ready HTML documents for the backend guys.

I've looked around and haven't found any real solutions. There's Dreamweaver, but that's a nightmare in a shiny wrapper that requires as much work or more to clean up template exported HTML, ...every time I export. It might be trainable, but I can already write the stuff as it should be without the interference it offers. I've considered some kind of 'mockup server' using PHP or some such for templating, but that seems like the long way to China. So far some kind of homebrew XML/XSL templating seems like my best bet.

Surely somebody has suffered this problem and solved it nicely.

Member #
    Not sure if this helps any because I am not sure I completely understand your situation, however ...

Our front-end ppl (designers) handle HTML, CSS, JQuery and some minor PHP (foreach() loops, if/else). They handle the View and the View only.

Our back-end ppl (developers) handle the Controllers and the Models.

There is a definitely a separation of responsibility. However, both sides do need to communicate in order to establish what to expect from each other.

For the most part our designers don't care nor need to know how data is going to be retrieved they just need to know that they will be receiving some data. On the other side of the coin, our developers do not care nor do they need to know how this data is going to be presented to the end user they are just going to assume that it will be pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_mehra View Post
    The backend developers prefer to work from production ready HTML mockups and slice them per constantly evolving business rules
    "Slicing" as in PS slicing ... confused about this. This should be a designer's role not a developer's role.

Member #
    Thanks for the input EvilivE.

All our data/logic chores are done by the backend guys. I've pushed for a truer MVC approach, but we use a mix of tools, and a lot of bad habits have been grandfathered in. Our designers do the HTML, CSS, and JQuery. I'd prefer your setup, but that's just how it is.

By 'slicing' I meant cutting up the HTML mockups as needed for the tool in use.

In the end our backend guys want reliable HTML mockups to work from, and our clients want fleshed out mockups from which to refine business rules, so complete HTML documents are what I'm required to produce and maintain.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    str_replace() should do all of this for you. you can leave them where they are and add a recursive loop to dig thrue folders or you could just use a folder for this particular parsing then copy them back to where they go. but really with an assigned folder you could do this with 2 lines of php.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Remove Ads