Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I recently built a website for my church at St. Paul's Episcopal Church | Home This is the first site I have built on this scale. A viewer recently told me the all the text on the main page was getting pushed off the bottom of the screen. I checked their computer and realized that they were using IE8 and had the "Text Size" feature set to Larger. Is there any way to force the website to use the same size text no matter the setting so the page displays correctly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    In a word...no.

Screen font sizes are relative, so they'll grow or shrink depending on where the Text Size is set within IE and other browsers, and also depending on how Windows is set up in many cases. A lot of the newer monitors force older users to use the larger font sizes by default because of the high resolution and relatively small text sizes, which in turn increases the text size within IE.

The only solution you have is to make larger text fit as much as is reasonably possible.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    set all your font sizes by px or em. You have some in your stylesheet set like you have the nav up top. you can do it by using body{font-size:14px;}(or whatever you want) at the body tag level or for each element . You notice your white navigation doesnt change when the text size of the browser is changed, that is because you have defined the size in px within the css.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    also, people with vision issues will sometimes zoom just the text. the best way to combat this is to never set a fixed width or height. min-height min-width or by width: auto; margin: x; x; x; x; the x being adjusted for your needs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spokanewebguy View Post
    set all your font sizes by px or em. You have some in your stylesheet set like you have the nav up top. you can do it by using body{font-size:14px;}(or whatever you want) at the body tag level or for each element . You notice your white navigation doesnt change when the text size of the browser is changed, that is because you have defined the size in px within the css.
    That's incorrect on two levels.

1) Firefox, Chrome, and other browsers not named IE treat pixels as relative font sizes. If you set a font size in pixels, then at some point someone's going to be able to resize it anyway.

2) em is a relative font size, not an absolute font size.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads