Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I just have a small formatting issue, that I think is being caused by a dreamweaver template I created, that I need some quick help with. Under the main banner is a space that I want to get rid of, but I can't figure out what's causing it. In my template, the editable area starts with the div right under the banner... so I'm thinking somewhere in there is my issue. Here is a link to the site - www .captaintees. com/graphictees.html (not allowed to post links yet, so please remove the spaces after "www" and before "com")

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Member #
    I tried zeroing the margin, border, and padding of the div out... nothing :ermm:

I started a new page with the template to see if it always starts with a space, and it doesn't. I'm not sure what I did to put the space there.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Looking at this in Firebug, I see the only spacing and padding being put on your table is being put there by the browser itself. Try a reset at the start of your CSS and see if that helps.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Ok, I'm not entirely sure how to do that so I did a new compound CSS file and use * as the selector... then put this code in it:

html, body, div, span, applet, object, iframe,
    h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, blockquote, pre,
    a, abbr, acronym, address, big, cite, code,
    del, dfn, em, font, img, ins, kbd, q, s, samp,
    small, strike, strong, sub, sup, tt, var,
    b, u, i, center,
    dl, dt, dd, ol, ul, li,
    fieldset, form, label, legend,
    table, caption, tbody, tfoot, thead, tr, th, td {
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    border: 0;
    outline: 0;
    font-size: 100%;
    vertical-align: baseline;
    background: transparent;
    }

It didn't work though... did I do it wrong?

Plus I just tried the same thing except zeroing out the margin, padding, and border with the interface... still no dice.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    HI - wish I had more time tonight to help - but go here CSS Tools: Reset CSS and read what he says - then try the reset given there - if that still doesn't work, let me know and ill take a closer look tomorrow sometime.

Happy New Year,

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Thanks, that's actually where I got that reset code that I posted... I just don't quite understand how to implement a CSS reset.

Happy New Year.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    table,tr,td { margin: 0px; padding: 0px; }
    use this

you don't want to zero the entire site unless you are prepared to go thrue the entire thing and manually set margins and padding. at the start of your next prject or if you want to apply it here all you need is
    * { margin: 0px; padding: 0px; }

both sets of code are cut and paste ready. meaning you don't need to add or take away, just use as is. should work just fine.

something else to play with is margins of anything in the surrounding areas. sometimes they overflow: and then push other elements out. so either change those to padding instead of margin or use overflow: auto; or :hidden; in the containing element depending on your needs.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    xeno - No luck.

Dorky - When you say they are copy and paste ready does that mean I don't need to create a CSS with that information? If so, where do I paste it? If not, I'm not sure how to set up the CSS with that information, do I do 3 different tag CSS's?

Also, I zeroed out everything in the content area and the element above the space and it didn't change anything.

Edit - Tried pasting it into both my main CSS's and it didn't close the space.

Anyone want to take a closer look If I email you the Template, Html, and CSS files?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    when Dorky says cut and paste - he means paste it into your CSS file at the very beginning - this is important so that first it will zero out the browser intructions, and then your own CSS will apply.

Member #
    That didn't seem to do it either. Am I doing it wrong? Here is my CSS:

table,tr,td {
    margin: 0px;
    padding: 0px;
    }

#site_layout {
    background-image: url(../_images/background.jpg);
    height: 100%;
    width: 100%;
    margin: 0px;
    padding: 0px;
    position: relative;
    }

What else could possibly be causing this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads