Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    In designing a fluid site you define column widths using percentages instead of hard coding pixel width. So, in doing this how do you define image dimensions with fluidity in mind? An image may look good in one particular resolution, but when someone with a larger screen resolution views that same page, the columns may adjust because of the fluid design, but what about the images? Is there a way to write the code to display an image in the right size for that screen resolution while keeping the correct aspect ratio for the image? Is this possible within html or would I have to use a script to either adjust the image for that resolution, or have multiple images available and load the correct one?

I do this as a hobby so I'm familiar with the basics, but not real fluent in writing javascript or php. I also don't have any fancy design software, I use a basic editor and write it one tag at a time.

So is this possible to do?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i wouldn't spend to much time on that idea. it sounds a lot cooler then it turns out to be and requires you to learn some scripting language, maybe two depending on how you want it done. if you must, javascript and some math.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It is possible, but the problem with it (besides the problems Dorky outlined) is that you'll have to store large images on your server and allow them to download (major bandwidth hog) to avoid pixellation at higher resolutions. It's just not worth going down that road.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads