Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am doing work on a client's salon website, which was built years ago using tables. I'm relatively new to the web design/development field so I haven't worked extensively with tables.

When I added a menu item (Non-Surgical Facelift) on the navigation bar, it skewed the rest of the menu items by adding a lot of space between each one. This only happens on 3 of the pages (Women, Men, Teens) that have a certain kind of table in common. It only occurs in IE and Firefox, not Safari or Chrome.

The website is Saisons Holistic Skin Care | Home

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Member #
    Wow, that is nasty (the markup)!!!

I looked at this for about 15 minutes and came to the conclusion that since there is only about 10 static pages you are probably going to be better off just rewriting that ... should take more that a couple of hours tops.

Your client should go for this because any future maintenance is going to be much easier. So they either pay you now for a couple of hours or they pay you for much more time every time they need a small change because you will have to reevaluate the the site every time.

Just my 2 cents.

Member #
    agreed

I agree completely. Or at the very least, rewrite the navigation code.

Member #
    nav code

CSS:
    #nav {}
    #nav ul {}
    #nav ul li { list-style:none; }

HTML:
    <div id="nav">
    <ul>
    <li>For Women</li>
    <li>For Men</li>
    <li>For Teens</li>
    <li>Make-Up</li>
    <li>Waxing</li>
    <li>Non-Surgical Facelift</li>
    </ul>

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by KitKat View Post
    I am doing work on a client's salon website, which was built years ago using tables. I'm relatively new to the web design/development field so I haven't worked extensively with tables.

When I added a menu item (Non-Surgical Facelift) on the navigation bar, it skewed the rest of the menu items by adding a lot of space between each one. This only happens on 3 of the pages (Women, Men, Teens) that have a certain kind of table in common. It only occurs in IE and Firefox, not Safari or Chrome.

The website is Saisons Holistic Skin Care | Home

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I have to agree with others in saying you should recode this using modern web techniques but I think the solution here is pretty simple.

The code in question relies on a lot of empty elements for spacing and you're simply omitting them when adding in new menu items. For example there seems to be about 5 or so columns per row in the markup and a few of the empty columns are very specific in adding a rowspan within them (ie: td rowspan=17 appears required to make the layout work properly,) yet when you've added columns on specific pages, some of the columns (td's) seem to be omitted. Try modifying an existing table row (tr) by copying and pasting it's contents into your new row, then just modifying the table column (td) content where necessary.

Remember to leave the empty columns alone. (the ones that look something like this: td rowspan=17>& nbsp;</td) They are required. Keep in mind that they're all different too. Some say rowspan=17, some say rowspan=16, some say rowspan=13, etc etc. You're going to have to know how many rows you're going to want to extend past as well.

Member #
    I also agree SmartNetNYC with you.You are right.

Remove Ads