Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey there,

I recently started coding in HTML and CSS, and decided to start a blog. I have a few questions however, which I can't find the answer to. :speechless:

1. Most of you know that nearly all sites have the footer descend as content is added. I don't get how this is done in HTML and CSS, could someone please explain? On my blog, the content background is different than the site background. Am I supposed to have a horizontal slice of the content color and "repeat-x" vertically? What do I have to put for the wrapper height?
    2. How do I limit the amount of posts on the main page, and how can I then expand the area to include more posts if the user clicks on a button above the footer?
    3. How can I have an up-to-date "Recent posts" section in the sidebar? I know it must have something to do with a database, but from there I'm lost.

I have more questions, but these should do for the moment. It'd be great if you could explain the answers, with the coding, eventually. :-D

Thanks in advance,

Julian

Member #
    1) Is just the normal document flow of the page. The footer extends relative to the content built on top of it unless you take it out of the flow of the document (by using absolute positioning... ie: position: absolute)

header

content...

footer

As you add content to the portion of the code above the footer, the footer will be pushed down automatically. Pretty simple.

2) You're going to need to add an additional language to the mix to accomplish this. Probably could do it with some javascript, in addition to the CSS, by manipulating the overflow property or something. Personally I'd use server side scripting to accomplish this. Something like PHP, Coldfusion, etc.

3) More PHP or Coldfusion, etc. manipulating a database.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    yep. what Lick said.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Remove Ads