Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I'm having some trouble with a pesky little css border. I normally code completely on my own, but this time used Dreamweaver. In the Dreamweaver preview, it looks fine, but in the web browsers, the border around one of my divs appears black instead of the blue.
    I have gone through the code (both the HTML file and the CSS file) changing code piece by piece to try to find where the problem is, but can't seem to pinpoint the reason for the border color change.
    I also validated the css and html and the validator found nothing relevant wrong.

I am thinking that somehow the browser isn't reading the #content div correctly, because along with not reading the color correctly, when I experimented with border-width, it also did not change. However, I can't seem to find the cause! I feel like it must be something small and obvious I haven't caught (as it usually is). I am using Firefox 3.6.13 primarily, though I also tested it in Safari.

The website is Writing on the Farm

And here is the CSS:
    Code:
    /* CSS Document */
    body {
    	text-align: center;
    }

#container {
    	margin: 0 auto;
    	width: 670px;
    	background-color:#95996C;
    	text-align: left;
    	}

#index2-01 {
    	position:absolute;
    	left:0px;
    	top:0px;
    	width:85px;
    	height:166px;
    }

#header {
    	left:85px;
    	top:0px;
    	width:815px;
    	height:167px;
    }

#index2-03 {
    	left:0px;
    	top:166px;
    	width:85px;
    	height:269px;
    }

#index2-04 {
    	width:112px;
    	height:57px;
    }

#index2-05 {
    	left:197px;
    	width:148px;
    }

#index2-06 {
    	left:345px;
    	width:141px;
    }

#index2-07 {
    	left:486px;
    	width:161px;
    }

#index2-08 {
    	left:647px;
    	width:253px;
    }

#content {
    	top:223px;
    	width:809px;
    	background-color: #c2c2a8;
    	border-color: #728398;
    	border-width: 3px;
    	border: solid;
    	text-align: left;
    }

#text {
    	color:#000000;
    	padding: 20px 20px;
    	font-family:"Times New Roman", Times, serif;
    	font-size: 1em;
    	line-height: 1.6em;
    	letter-spacing: 1px;
    	border-color: #728398;
    }

#text p {
    	padding: 10px 10px;
    }

h1 {
    	font-size: 1.5em;
    }

a:link {
    	color:#3F5162;
    	text-decoration: none;
    }

a:hover {
    	color:#3F5162;
    	text-decoration: underline;
    }

a:visited {
    	color: #666666;
    }

a:active {
    	color: #330066;
    }

#footer {
    	background-color:#728398;
    	font-size: 0.75em;
    	color: #C2C2A8;
    }

#footer
    a:link {
    	color:#C2C2A8;
    	text-decoration: none;
    }

#footer
    a hover {
    	color:#66CCFF;
    	text-decoration:underline; 
    }

.alignleft {
    	float:left;
    	padding-left: 10px;
    	}

.alignright {
    	float: right;
    	padding-right: 10px;
    	}
    Any insights any of you might have would be appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I usually code the border in one single CSS property:
    Code:
    border:  3px solid #728398;
    If that doesn't work, throw !important into the mix. As much as I hate it as a fix for anything, sometimes it's the only thing that works.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This is also a case, by the way, for coding on your own. Dreamweaver, as it usually does, has completely destroyed this page from a coding standpoint. There's no reason all of those divs should be absolutely positioned, among other things.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks TheGAME, the !important tag seems to have worked, though I still want to hunt around to find the source of the discrepancy.

I agree, Dreamweaver has been a challenge for me so far this is my first site I am publishing using it, and I'm finding I need to make alot of changes to the code after upload anyway to get the result I want. My main reason for starting to use it was to find an easier way to transfer a PSD webdesign into code. I can create attractive PSD designs, but successfully slicing and placing the design on my own if it is in any way complex has proved somewhat difficult for my current skill level.

Anyway, I shall forge ahead and learn some more along the way. Thanks for your help!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's just it...I don't really think you'll find the source. There are so many possibilities with that code that it would take a whole lot of time and debugging (which probably isn't a worthwhile exercise, especially since !important did work) to find the one(s) that caused your problem.

And no problem.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    instead of using dw to cope with psd, just use ps for graphics and put the layout together yourself. if you need to present without giving the code, just screenshot, clip and post. then when you get the go-ahead you have the work started already and it will look exactly how you presented it, not just mostly. if you have to use something, use open office save as>html . open office does a great job of creating standards compliant html. you can add backgrounds, borders, tables, all of it.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Remove Ads