Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Dear All

I am director of Platinum professional CV services, web address Platinum | Professional CV Writing | CV Writers for Executives and Managers, and I need to find a developer who can sort out an issue of inter-browser compatibility.

The site displays correctly on Google Chrome but the vertical menu is not working right on IE, except for the home page (luckily!). On other pages, the width of the menu decreases and on loading the menu text colours are overriden by the site-wide/page-wide link colours. Only on mouseover does the menu text colour return.

In addition, for some IE versions, the pictures and text on the home page tab / horizontal slider dont always align.

Basically, the site looks as it should in Google Chrome. But it is not right in a couple of bits on IE.

I spoke to a guy in a decent web design company, and he said the site isn't bad and the html is reasonable. But their policy, and others, is they cannot offer to fix existing code. They are forced to rebuild the site. He was decent enough to say I did not need this, so recommended this forum.

Can someone help? Looking to commission a reliable, experienced expert to fix this glitch.

Thanks

Mark

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hi Mark, and greetings from across the Atlantic Ocean!

I'm going to be blunt here, because I'd rather tell you a hard truth than try to sugar-coat it.

What the guy told you is somewhat of a conflicting statement. If the code isn't bad, it can be fixed. If it's bad, it needs to be recreated. It's one or the other...it generally isn't both. This certainly isn't the worst code out there, and I tend to agree with the guy that it can be fixed for less than the cost of rebuilding the site, but it's also generated code in some spots, so it's going to be buggy and create problems as a result.

As far as this particular glitch is concerned, it's probably going to take someone some time for someone to find it. You've got a lot of possible places on each page where errors could occur and a lot of CSS files and inline styles that could be contributing, and chances are there are multiple things on at least some pages that are creating errors. In some cases, one fix may fix several pages, but in some cases it will be page by page.

I'd suggest that you allow 40 to 50 pounds in your budget to fix this (I don't have a pounds key on my Canadian keyboard...sorry!) If you can do that, you should be able to find someone who can fix this. I don't think it would cost quite that much, but you'll need to allow for that type of budget. Is that an amount you're prepared to spend? If so, I think you'll be alright.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    the first line of your HTML is the doctype.

change it to this.
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC '-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN' 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd'> be sure it is not split but rather the entire entry on one line.

and add this between the <head> and </head>

<meta http-equiv='X-UA-Compatible' content='IE=8' />

this should fix most if not all compatibility issues.
    after implementation if you have any issues, return here and we can help.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Remove Ads