Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey guys, im getting this bug on a few computers with my website, I have some links displayed under a picture with a blue line above it,they are centered and displayed inline. There is no border or padding or hr or anything like that. Me nor my Web Design teacher can figure out what is wrong with it. Any help/insight you could give would be greatly appreciated. Here is the url: enterwebstudios.com/hollywood/trial.html
    ..and here is the css
    Code:
    @charset "utf-8";
    /* CSS Document */
    body
            {background-color:#FFF; font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; text-decoration:none; margin:0px; }
    body p
            {text-indent:2%}
    img
            {border:0px}
    #page
            {position: relative; width: 917px; height: auto; margin: 0 auto; padding-left: 50px; padding-top:3%}
    #top
            {text-align:center; background-image:url(logobg.png)}
    .nav_top
            {background:#003;  width: 100%; display:inline; height: 19px; border-top:none}
    .nav_top a
            {text-transform:uppercase; color:#FC0; text-decoration:none; padding-left: 2%; background-color:#003; display:inline }
    .white
            {color:#fff}
    .white:hover
            {color:#FC0}
    .logo
            {display:inline; background: url(logobg.png) repeat-x;width: auto; height: auto; margin:0}
    #bottom
            {text-align: center; border-bottom:#FC0;}
    .nav_bottom
            {background:#FFF; width:100%; display:block; height:19px; font-weight:bold; font-size:80%}
    .nav_bottom a
            {text-transform:uppercase; color:#003; text-decoration:none; padding-left: 1%; background-color:#FFF; font-weight:bold }
    .yellow
            {color: #06F}
    .yellow:hover
            {color:#003}
    .yellow1
            {color: #06F; padding-left:5%}
    .yellow1:hover
            {color:#003}

.follow
            {font-family:"Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif}
    .contact
            {color:#FC0}
    h1
            {display:block; border-left: solid 4px #006;}
    h4
            {color:FC0}
    h3
            {color:#003; text-decoration:underline; padding-top:5%; padding-left:3%}
    .addressnav
            {text-align:left; color:#FC0; text-decoration:none;}
    .addressnav:hover
            {text-decoration:underline; color:#CCC}
    table
            {display:inline; border:none}
    .linkblue
            {color:#006}
    .baseball
            {width:auto; position:relative; padding-left:5%; overflow: hidden}
    #footer
            {background-color:#003; height: auto; margin: 0 auto; padding-left: 50px; vertical-align:top}
    #footer table
            {text-align:center}
    footer
            {text-align:center; background-color:#003; color:#FC0; font-weight:bolder}
    address
            {text-align:center; background-color:#003; color:#FC0; font-weight:bolder}
    .checklist
            {font-family:"Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-weight:bold}

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The URL leads to a 404 page.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Sorry this will work

enterwebstudios.com/hollywood/index.HTML

Thanks guys

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not blaming you for this if this is what you were taught. Your teacher has led you down a garden path, which sadly is typical of the so-called education process when it comes to web design. In all likelihood, there are a lot of things you'll have to unlearn.

Now, if you want to center a div or any other block-level element, or any other element for that matter, what you'll want to do in your CSS is this:
    Code:
    margin-left:  auto;
    margin-right:  auto;
    width:  (clearly defined width);
    text-align:  center;
    There's no need to use display: inline for this purpose if the element is a block-level element, such as a div or an unordered list.

As far as your logo is concerned, you really should use width and height attributes. It will avoid that "jog" effect where the page moves down as the browser interprets the size of the logo, and it may help you with the blue border issue. You'll also want to put your logo in a containing div with no margins, no padding, the width and height attributes set to those of the logo, and overflow: hidden.

For your menus, you'll want to use this tutorial. You'll see how it uses an unordered list to create your menu, which is basically what a menu is...a list of items.

You'll also want to look at why fixed font sizes are evil for screen purposes...for print they're acceptable.

Any one of these issues could be causing your problem. Or any combination for that matter.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Okay I figured it out, I had the background listed twice in my css.
    Does any one have a good method of displaying all the links at the bottom of the page like I have? I used a table with blank <td> tags to create the spacing but it gets smooshed on smaller resolutions.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Unordered lists. Something like this.
    Code:
    ul.footer-menu {
    float:  left;
    list-style-type:  none;
    width:  32%;
    margin: 0 0.5%;
    padding: 0;
    }
    That should get you started enough to run with things from there. Yes, I'm aware that width + margins = 33% as opposed to 33.33333333333% but since there's no way to do 33 and a third, this is the best way I've found to handle things.

Be sure to clear your float at the end, too.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    This will probably seem harsher on you that it's meant but....if your "web design teacher" is teaching you to use tables for your layout you need to find someone else to teach you.

I'm glad you figured out the original problem, anyway. Navigation menus are something a lot of beginners struggle with, it may be worth searching for some basic tutorials and working your way through them, rather than having to deal with it as part of an entire page with other things getting in the way. I always found learning things separately helped it "sink in" a bit more.

Good luck

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Harsh? I already said that and I was way harsher than you were.

Remove Ads