Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    The navigation links at the top of my page work fine in IE (although the target pages are not yet correct.) But no dice in Firefox.

http://www.kpcinema.com/timrocks/caricature.html

I also can't get borders or background images to work using CSS, while being able to control many other properties.

Can anyone help? I'm baffled...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I can't see anything specifically that would screw up Firefox, although the relative positioning of the logo and text associated with it might have something to do with it. Usually when things like that come up, there's an element that overlaps another element and that's what screws things up.

You also don't really need the paragraph tag in the logo div. An alt attribute would suffice.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    By the way, I like your caricatures. Lady Gaga almost looks attractive!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Holy *&%$# !
    That worked, I'm so thrilled. I took out the relative positioning which didn't need to be there and now the links are active.

The paragraph tag might be more clear now if you look at it, the logo I had was a placeholder--

new page address: http://www.kpcinema.com/timrocks/caricature.html

See, I wanted that line of real text right there but the image was in the way (faux blue background.) Maybe I should be using z-index? I'd have to look up how to do that, so I just used relative positioning.

Any thoughts about why I can't get CSS to put borders around DIVs? I'd like to visually separate that section of the right-side column ("party/event planning links") using some kind of border or bar.

And I'm working on a page for my dad's site that could maybe use a repeating background, but I follow the CSS tutorials off WebMonkey and other places exactly and no dice.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    If it's the .aside div you're trying to get a border around, the problem is you haven't defined a border style.

You have

Code:
    .aside    {
    border: 5px;
    border-color: #000
    }
    change it to

Code:
    .aside	{
    border: 5px solid #000;
    }

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR, post: 198592
    Holy *&%$# !
    That worked, I'm so thrilled. I took out the relative positioning which didn't need to be there and now the links are active.
    I'm not surprised. It's not the first time I've seen positioning screw up links in Firefox, although it's usually fixed positioning that tends to be the problem. I'm not blaming you, by the way...it's one of the many things that annoy me about the browser and why I was never a fan.
    See, I wanted that line of real text right there but the image was in the way (faux blue background.) Maybe I should be using z-index? I'd have to look up how to do that, so I just used relative positioning.
    z-index only works with relative or absolute positioning, which puts you right back where you started. Basically, the only reason to use relative or absolute positioning is to put something where it normally wouldn't go in document flow, but much like most pills, it does have side effects. Use with caution.
    And I'm working on a page for my dad's site that could maybe use a repeating background, but I follow the CSS tutorials off WebMonkey and other places exactly and no dice.
    There's a lesson here in and of itself...tutorials are never the end point, they're the starting point. You can take what a tutorial teaches you, see what works, what doesn't, experiment, find another tutorial with a piece of information that fits, experiment some more, go through this as many as 6-7 times until you get what you want.

Again, this isn't your fault. Tutorials really should be more clear than they are for the most part. But when you read them online, read them with the understanding that they're free, they're often poorly explained, and they quite often don't work.

Member #
    michelledancer- That puts me ahead of where I was, but I am still puzzled about getting borders to show up as single bars on one side, etc. I will keep experimenting as TheGAME1264 suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 198610
    There's a lesson here in and of itself...tutorials are never the end point, they're the starting point. You can take what a tutorial teaches you, see what works, what doesn't, experiment, find another tutorial with a piece of information that fits, experiment some more, go through this as many as 6-7 times until you get what you want.

Again, this isn't your fault. Tutorials really should be more clear than they are for the most part. But when you read them online, read them with the understanding that they're free, they're often poorly explained, and they quite often don't work.
    I generally do take them that way, and will spend hours puzzling things out. But I'm not a full-time web designer, and I was getting to be at the limits of time I could afford to spend on this project, so I sought outside input. Plus just being impatient after getting the redesign nearly complete, to get the page "launched".

Re: tutorials.. there's a lot I like about Webmonkey-- well-organized, nice design, pleasant writing style. But if I had to criticize it often seems like they spend too much time just demonstrating the tools in an arbitrary way---- e.g. "make a gray square with a yellow edge absolutely stuck to the bottom corner" or something--- which does get you acquainted with things, but can be a little tedious.

Whereas, I came across a tutorial (yourhtmlsource.com, Ross Shannon) a few days ago that advanced me light-years ahead of where I was, just by talking in more practical terms about things people might actually want to do. For instance I was struggling with how to make columns, and I kept adding "float: left" to one and "float: right" to another, and variations, but it never would have occurred to me that they should both be "float: left". This still isn't intuitive to me, but I can use it b/c Mr. Shannon was addressing practical matters of laying out columns, rather than just focusing on the "float" attribute and abstractly describing it, or making things "float" in ways that one would rarely have cause to do so.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR, post: 198656
    michelledancer- That puts me ahead of where I was, but I am still puzzled about getting borders to show up as single bars on one side, etc.
    You can specify which side you want the border to show up on, for example:

Code:
    .aside {

border-left 5px solid #000;

}
    Remember to apply padding if you're putting borders around something with text, so the text isn't squashed right up to the line.

Member #
    Ah, okay.. so easy. (Again I blame the tutorials

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Blaming tutorials as if somehow they provided you a fractured take on how to code something?

You just became a real web designer now!

Remove Ads