Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    In my sample page, http://zoov.getenjoyment.net/sample.htm, an issue I am having is the scrollbar is not showing when set to "auto" (currently I have it on "scroll" to show where it should be). Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't know if this is related, but you're running a .NET page either on a server that doesn't support it or without the .ASPX extension for the page.

The width of #container is also wider than that of its parent element (the .col1 element). That's why your scrollbar gets chopped off at the right and you don't see the right arrow. Set #container to 100% width for now and see what happens.

Either of these could be causing your issue.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Right now the width 100% change is live on the page. It no longer shows one row of child divs but you can see the horizontal scrollbar from left to right (though in the same non-functional state).

I have the .aspx page locally which I also tested the change on - it functions exactly like the .html page.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Ahhh. I see what you're trying to do. You want that whole row of books or whatever they are all as one.

I've done something similar (coincidentally, using ASP.net, although I used VB.net) for a project. You'll need to make two adjustments (one's a minor technical adjustment, the other is a bit more complex).

Minor technical adjustment: container should be a class, not an id. You're using it twice. So <div class="container"> (adjust your CSS accordingly as well.) Leave the width as 100%.

Now here's the more complex thing...what you effectively have is an unordered list of items (in this case, books). So rather than use a child div, use a ul with the following css:
    Code:
    .container ul {width:  1500px;}
    .container ul li {float:  left;  padding:  0 5px; } /* adjust as needed, but leave the float no matter what or it won't work right. */
    Once you've adjusted your code to make use of the unordered list instead of pure divs, you should be good to go. I'd provide you with a working example, but the two I have are under development right now.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    That worked brilliantly!

I've since switched back to overflow auto and one remaining quirk is - while a nice large container width like that allows me to fit many books, if there are only a few, there ends up being a large white space and scrollbar that isn't needed (Firefox). Setting the container ul width 100% breaks the row. Might there be any tricks to allow the width to adjust as needed?

Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Not with CSS as such, no.

What I did when I built mine is used ASP.net to gather the width of each picture and add it to the padding and margins for each list item. Then I added the width CSS attibrute to the unordered list.
    zooveo likes this.

Remove Ads