Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Well, there's going to become a point where just about any site will become a mess, depending on how many times you increase the font size. If you go 3, 4, 5 times, then yeah, most layouts will break simply because some pages will contain significantly longer words that will grow proportionately in size (like say, the words "significantly" and "proportionately"). Besides, anyone resizing the text 3, 4, 5 times has some pretty major vision issues and probably has similar issues with a lot of other sites.

Now, if you've got a navbar and you must use plain text and it sits on the top, then use the default font size FF (or for that matter, IE or Chrome) picks out as a guideline. Make sure you allow at least 25%-30% white space on the right side (or right and left combined if you center your menu). That way, you've allowed for growth. Alternatively, if you use text embedded in images for your navbar, you avoid this outright (or something like Cufon as an alternative...you can do some pretty kickass stuff with it).

Whether you use a fixed-width layout or a liquid one is almost immaterial as well, because what will inevitably happen is that you'll end up with users that are on old CRT monitors which only go to 1024x768 (a lot of older laptops such as the old Stinkpads from IBM still do this as well). So if you're at say 90% of 1024, they're only giving you 922 pixels to work with.

Again, the reason you're confused is because it's confusing. HTML web pages are, as far as I know anyway, the only screen-outputted documents that cannot have an absolute font size defined for normal text. So it flies in the face of every other document that exists, be it a PDF, a word processing doc, a spreadsheet, or whatever.

As a result, it requires a shift in thinking, and unfortunately the people best able to explain why the shift in thinking is necessary often do it in such an arrogant and clueless manner that their message gets lost (e.g. Jakob Nielsen).

Short version: plain text gets bigger and smaller. Give it space to get bigger and smaller within reasonable boundaries.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    That is true. I didn't realize there was a workaround that was that simple. There really is no way to prevent people from breaking the website with goofy font sizes. Luckily I design the majority of my websites to have a fluid height so that changes in font size won't completely brutalize everything. The biggest things I could see being messed up would be text navigation. I usually use text navigation (better for SEO) and they could get really messy looking. Thank you for letting us know the different ways to change font size. I'll have to take that into consideration from now on.
    Check out some of my work: http://www.jr-webdesigns.com

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    No problem. It's just part of being AWESOME. Which I am. No, really.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    again you were most helpful thank you alot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads