Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have some very long documents that stretch to over twenty-five pages and want to have them in a webpage. If I simply paste the documents' contents onto my html page, the reader will find him/herself scrolling down a long way.

Is there a way of setting up a scrollable window that will allow a reader to keep the main page in view but scroll away withing a constrained window? Iframes can embed pdfs but this isn't allways good when being viewed in Firefox's browser and not everyone has the ability to view PDFs. How about embedding rtf files?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If your document's long, the reader is going to have to scroll using something if you put it as one contiguous document no matter how you slice it. Making it a PDF means they scroll in Acrobat Reader or Foxit Reader or (insert PDF reader here). Making it an RTF means they scroll in Word or (whatever else reads RTFs...the only one I've ever used that way is Word).

What I would suggest is to break your document up into smaller documents based on subheads and create several pages based on those subheads. That way, the user can read, navigate, pick up where they left off, skip sections not relevant to him/her, etc.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    (Don't hate me TheGame)

Just use an iFrame.

[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]<iframe src="filename.pdf" width="100%" height="400px">
    <p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>
    </iframe>
    [/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I already hate you, man.

I actually would have suggested that myself, but she didn't want to go that route (at least so it says in the original post). It's a good idea, though.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Iframes can embed pdfs but this isn't allways good when being viewed in Firefox's browser and not everyone has the ability to view PDFs.
    Ooops.

Never tried this before, but check out
    http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/
    OR
    http://www.convertpdftohtml.net/

Member #
    Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of breaking the page up into manageable portions.

I'll also post the website in the section where it can be viewed/commented but here it is so far:

http://www.gmjones.org/

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    @ Left Sidebar "Arbitration News : CIArb"

OH GOD. Why would you want to torture a reader like that!

Remove Ads