Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi there,

Is it possible to disable hits for part of the page with a browser's search (CTRL+F)? I have a menu on the left side that is coming up as the first few hits for certain terms whenever I use the browser's search, which is annoying. I'd love to just disable the menu from being searched at all.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Andrew

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Other than making the menu image-based, no.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Games right, if you turn your menu into image based, then it will not be searched by the browser.
    I wouldn't recommend doing that though, Google will hate you for it

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Not necessarily true. That's a bit of a myth. You can use an image-based menu without necessarily interfering with referral traffic from Google. You just have to get a little creative with CSS.

There also never really was any significant penalty or traffic reduction in traffic associated with an image-based menu. That was all based on the stupid pseudo-logic that backlinks are key and so is their associated anchor text, when no one realizes that the anchor text for an image in a menu is defined by the text of its associated alt attribute, which makes sense because the alt attribute defines the image for those people and things that can't see it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    you're right, but don't forget that Google views alt text for what it is; alternative text. Having it as REAL text will always be the best option. Not to mention will render faster then loading 10+ extra images.
    @aarnott
    And maybe you should consider using cufon? Will be read as text, but the browser wont search it. I wouldn't use it if you have a lot of navigation though

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    From a purely user perspective, yes, text-based menus are usually the best alternative. But there are legitimate reasons to use image-based menus as well (specifically, if you need to apply a non-standard effect that even Cufon can't handle to a non-standard font). Both have their uses, and again, search engines have long been made aware of this.

Remove Ads