Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I am trying to get "Music" to be written vertically i.e "u" below" m", "s" below "u" etc.
    The text is in a div and the css I have tried is here:
    Code:
    #music    {
        writing-mode:tb-rl;
        width:10px;
        height:100px;
        font-family: Arial;
        color: #000000;
        font-size: 18px;
        position: absolute; top: 30%; left: 20%;
            }
    I have tried to force the text on to the line below by setting width narrow but as I am new to this I must admit to struggling.
    Any suggestions please?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Do what Stu did (except that I would have used spans instead of em tags).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks, Google didn't point me to that one!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Weird. Stu's got some good stuff. It usually needs to be cleaned up a bit, but he at least has the concepts down.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well I adapted Stu's code to suit my own requirements. I have the keys in a div that I have positioned and what I would like to do is be able to alter the spacing between the lists so that it overlays the piano key image in a div behind it.

Here's a link to the page: http://www.17minutes.f2s.com/Tich4.html

Here's the code from Stus' page adapted to suit myself in terms of colours etc:
    Code:
    #vertical {
      width:15em;
      padding:0;
      margin:0 auto;
      list-style-type:none;
      font-size:1.4em;
      font-family:georgia, "times new roman", serif;
      }
    #vertical li {
      float:left;
      border:0;
      margin:0;
      }
    #vertical li a {
      text-decoration:none;
      color:#000;
      display:block;
      width:1.5em;
      height:1.5em;
      border-top:0;
      height:auto;
      }
    #vertical li a em {
      font-style:normal;
      display:block;
      text-align:center;
      background:transparent;
      border-left:0;
      border-right:0;
      }
    #vertical li a em.nd {
      border-bottom:0;
      }
    #vertical li a:hover {
      }
    #vertical li a:hover em {
      color:#800;
      }
    Any idea how I do this please? Tried a number of things but can't nail it on the head.
    Cheers, Lol

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Add some padding to your #vertical li .

Something like this (values extimated, adjust as needed):
    Code:
    padding:  0 30px; /* the first value represents top/bottom padding; the second left/right padding.  The second one is your key one. */
    Lol999 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Okay, I added padding: 0 17px; to the #vertical li and this is as good as it gets: http://www.17minutes.f2s.com/Tich4.html

Increasing the padding sends the "Links" text underneath for some reason. I've taken out the "text-align: center;" from the #links div css which contains the lists and this has had no effrect. I don't know if any sort of padding will give an acceptable sort of alignment over the keys which leads me to wonder how to achieve this?

cheers, Lol

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You may have to set padding on the individual list items themselves. Your keys have black keys between them at varying positions, which would necessitate custom padding on each list item.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Yeah I had thought of that but am unsure as to whereabouts to put the padding in the css? Any hint would be great!
    Cheers, Lol

p.s. is it time to consider sprites? if there's a straightforward fix to Stu's code that's great but if not are sprites the way to go?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The best hint I could give you is to do something like this:
    Code:
    li#music {padding-left:  28px;  padding-right:  40px} /* again, adjust as needed.  I'm just picking numbers arbitrarily. */
    li#links {padding-right:  40px;  padding-left:  28px;}
    Code:
    <li id="music">Music link</li>
    <li id="links">Links</li>
    Lol999 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads