Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum & am wondering if anyone could possibly shed some light on my problem.

Basically, I've just finished designing a website which is now live. It looks great/perfect in Safari, but fragmented in Firefox & Explorer?! Can anyone help me in identifying the problem please. Your help is greatly appreciated. Please click link for site >

http://www.keepingupwithjonesjones.co.uk

(I'm not a programmer, just a graphic designer with limited dreamweaver skills, so go easy on me)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What exactly is the issue? It actually looks pretty good to me.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Hey,

Thanks for checking it out.

Can I ask you which browser you used? Like I said in my post, the main problem is found in FIREFOX/EXPLORER. (table (shop window) is fragmented)

Thanks in advance

Ben

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Yeah, I just checked it out in Firefox and it's all exploded. One of the problems is that each browser has its own built-in rules for display - in Firefox the default for tables seems to be a 2px border on each cell like this -

table {
    border-collapse: separate;
    border-spacing: 2px;
    text-indent: 0;
    }

One thing you can do to help is to get all your CSS into separate sheets - I see you have one called thrColEls.css, and the rest of your styling is in the <head? of your page. You can put this into a sepaarate CSS called styles.css or something, and call it from the <head> the same way you do the other one, like so -
    <link href="thrColEls.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    <link href="styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    In your new stylesheet, at the very beginning, put a reset like this -
    * {border:0; margin:0; padding:0;} and that will allow your style to overwrite the browser defaults.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I looked at it in IE8 and it was fine. When I looked in FF, it was exploded as AlphaMare said.

The thing that I noticed though is that it was a tabled layout. This doesn't need to be a tabled layout at all. What I would suggest, and this is extremely difficult (but will work) is to make the entire "shop" a background inside a div with relative positioning, and then absolutely position all of the links inside of it since they're all over the place.

If you're going to use a tabled layout, check the widths of your table and make sure that any child tables aren't wider than their respective parents. That's not the case right now...you've got a 901-pixel wide table inside of a 453-pixel wide table inside of a 489-pixel wide table.

Either way, though, this is not a good layout for a number of reasons:

1) It's a splash page. Splash pages are usually a killer from a conversion point of view, although yours is better than most because at least it provides navigation options. Mind you, I'm not sure how tech-savvy your users are going to be and if they can figure that sort of thing out.

2) "Baguettes" is illegible because of the white flary effect.

3) Splash pages are bad from an SEO point of view because of the overall lack of text and the inability to get back to the home page (which is usually indexed first and most often).

4) The navigation on the subpages differs from that of the home page, which also can confuse users.

Basically, I'd rethink that part of the site. It looks pretty, but it may be functionally useless.

Oh yeah...and lose the tacky designer link on the footer. There's no good reason for it to be there.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I had a look through google chrome and it looks fine! more than fine actually..done a good job!
    I don't know about dream weaver but alot of builders I have tried have different coding conflicts with different browsers.
    I know i didn't really help i just felt like saying it

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Must have gotten it fixed, as I see no problems with FF.
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Remove Ads