Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    So I've looked through dozens and dozens of websites, and I just cant seem to come up with some solutions.. im very new to using yahoo as a host, for one. and for two, im very VERY out of practice. that being said, if you visit www.onewirelessnation.com in firefox, the page appears no problem, its centered (on my screen) and everything looks fine.. if you try to click "About us" or "our ebay listings" it will ask you to download an octet-stream, so initially I thought it was just a problem with the ebay page because I attempted to add an iframe with this stores current listings.. however, if I open this very same page in IE (www.onewirelessnation.com), my main menu appears, but the background is gone! then when I click the ebay page it actually loads without asking for me to download anything, and though it appears perfect on my screen, upon visiting a store and pulling up this ebay page, the iframe appears completely off-center.. and then to make things more interesting, if I click "about us" in IE, the menu appears, the background appears, but its off center. haha im going out of my mind trying to make these guys a website; its not like I was ever advertising myself as a designer, but I work for the company and they just assumed that since I understand most computer-related things and because I know how to photoshop images, that I must be able to design a website. i literally have today and tomorrow left to get some pages up and working the right way, so any help would be extremely appreciated

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I've taken a look at you code - you don't seem to have any file extensions on any of your links - and they are written wrong.
    If you are trying to write relative links they should be like this:

[COLOR=rgb(0,0,0)]repairs.html (or .php, or.aspx or whatever)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(0,0,0)]If you are trying to write absolute links, you need the http://, like this:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(0,0,0)]http:// www. onewirelessnation .com/ repairs.html (or .php, or.aspx or whatever)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(0,0,0)](Mods - I've tried to take the link out in the above example and can't - sorry. Alpha)[/COLOR]
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I fixed it...kind of. I had to add spaces to make it work. Tacky way to make a link work, but it works.

As far as links go, I always, always, ALWAYS code them absolutely. Why? Because there's absolutely no way the exact destination of a link can be misinterpreted, which means that if there's a crawler error or some 404 issue, it's my fault and I know where and how to deal with it. So add the href to your links the way it's formatted in AlphaMare's post, except without the spaces that I added.

There's also a search-engine-specific reason why I do this. Although I try not to use this particular element, I do try to ensure that the pages I build effectively accomplish the same purpose by generating a single URL for each page, which includes the domain itself. This video might be a bit over your head if you're just trying to get back into web design, but if you can at least grasp the gist of it, you'll understand why you'll want to code your links the absolute way. The guy in the video is Google engineer Matt Cutts, so he has just a tiny bit of inside information on this topic.

By the way, it looks identical to me in Firefox 4 and IE 7/8. Is this an IE6 issue by any chance?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I fixed it...kind of. I had to add spaces to make it work. Tacky way to make a link work, but it works.
    DOH! I shoulda thoughta that!

And I agree about the absolute links - it's easier to avoid errors that way and far easier to fix 'em when you have 'em. (and if you're copying and pasting from online, well... there you go) I do sometimes make exceptions for image links in my CSS, but even there, maybe especially there, you have to be certain of the file structure to use relative links.

I also recommend whatever you do, do it the same way every time - that way it will become a habit and you won't have to think about it.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads