Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    [COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]I am uploading the website onto my schools server through filezilla. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]do i need to also upload the .css file onto the server and use the link to the style sheet i get from filezilla?[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)] or if i leave my page with
    [/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css" />
    [/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]will the style sheet still work?

i tried uploading the stylesheet online then using the link like
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="sftp://turneaac@sunny.uni.edu/export/home/turneaac/stylesheet.css" />

but that does not work. i know how to get the html files online and i am able to search through them but i am confused about the .css online.[/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Yes, you have to upload the stylesheet.css to your server.

[COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]"sftp://[COLOR=rgb(32, 117, 183)]turneaac@sunny.uni.edu[/COLOR]/export/home/turneaac/stylesheet.css"[/COLOR]
    I have no idea what kind of link this is - it looks more like an email address to me.

[COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css" />[/COLOR]
    This will work if you upload your stylesheet.css file in the same folder as your HTML.

Cheers,
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    thank you

yeah that link is just the "copied link" from the server. i dont really know what kind of link it is either.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Secure FTP, maybe.

Other than that, do what Mare said. Then you should be fine.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    it works that way for more any files pants. If you upload it from your development machine to a server as long as you keep all the structure the same your links will work because they are relative to the positioning from each other

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I am not sure, but i think SFTP stands for "Secure FTP" and that you can not link to a SFTP as part of your path as - being secure - it requires a password for access. Maybe with some php coding you code work around, but with just straight css - I don't think it is possible.

Correct me if I am wrong. I am just thinking through logically...

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I did not see that part about the SFTP must have missed it I thought he was just having problems linking to CSS

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    OK - this is what we had when I was at school. We had to use sftp to upload because it was a server on the school's network. And then the web address from our school computers (on the network) would look a little like that second one.
    This will not affect the linking of a CSS file to a page - as long as the css file is in the same folder as the page on the server it will link properly with
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 128)]<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css" />[/COLOR]
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads