Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    hi guys,

i have an issue here. My client needs to dynamically update his website. Since he has no experience with HTML or Flash... or anything like that, he needs to simply edit a text file and *poof* his text is up. I know this is possible in PHP, but i need to know how i can do it in basic HTML.. maybe javascript?

basically, the text content needs to be stored on a separate .txt file which he can easily update (through ftp or http).

thanks for your help.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Here's the $64,000 question: if your client doesn't have experience with html or flash...are you sure that he knows how to use ftp?

I would think that you could have the text file in an iframe or something similar and point the source to the file.

(ex: <iframe src="123.txt"></iframe>)
    I'm trying to ween myself off of using iframes, but if there's a great deal of text to be displayed this might be the answer. Maybe someone else has another suggestion?

Member #
    u cant. you would have to use a server side language. (correct me if im wrong). HTML is only for formatting and displaying data.

Member #
    Technically you could use an external js file and use document.write to type out the page, but that would be messy. You can do this in PHP though, even using a txt file (I'm almost positive). I'd recommend that.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You could use XML /XSL-T and simplify it to wher eyour XML page looks like this:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="frame.xsl"?>
    <content>
    This is my content.
    </content>
    Then you could create an XSL file that transforms the XML into an HTML doc. Your client would just modify the content in the <content></content> tags and upload the new file.

Remove Ads