Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Left indentation is working fine on all browsers except Internet explorer 6 and 7. In ie6 and ie7, bullets are not showing and list is not indenting. How can I solve this problem? I am using the following code:

CSS Code:

ul.body
    {
    margin-left:0px;
    padding-left:40px;
    font-family:Arial, Helvetica;
    font-style:normal;
    font-size:0.8em;
    }

HTML Code:

<ul class="body">
    <li>dog</li>
    <li>cat</li>
    <li>tiger</li>
    <li>elephant</li>
    </ul>

Thank You for your help in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    First, I wouldn't worry about IE 6 - so few are still using it that in my opinion it is a waste of time to design for it.

For IE 7, I think you need to set some properties for the list style specifically -

To get the bullets to show;
    for default style try adding list-style: disc ;
    if you want an image you can put list-style-type: url(put your image path/filename here);

Add this and see if it gives you the indent you want list-style-position:inside;

See if that helps.

If not, this is a very good article about how to style lists.
    onlinespider likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    IIRC, IE6/7 actually render the bullets outside the border of the list. Either way, the ALA article AlphaMare posted is a really good one.

On a side note: That article is really interesting to read. It's funny how in 2002, that information was on the cutting edge of web design. Yet, many of the techniques it talks about we now use without even thinking about it.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Good Response, but I have to add my 2 cents on IE6... a common misconception that very few people are still using it...

It will all depend on your site and the traffic that it gets that should be the determining factor as to support or not support it...

I have one site that on avg. 45% of the visitors are still using IE6 and they are coming from all over the world.

I manage a site for a local tech group that mainly focuses on new technologies and it's visitor logs indicate that less than 2% of visitors are still using IE6...

Last statistic I read about china was about 85% of all their internet users are still using IE6 ???

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Dear Alphamare, thanks a lot for your reply. It looks i have solved my problem.
    Much appreciated on both ie6 and ie7

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 204496
    First, I wouldn't worry about IE 6 - so few are still using it that in my opinion it is a waste of time to design for it.

For IE 7, I think you need to set some properties for the list style specifically -

To get the bullets to show;
    for default style try adding list-style: disc ;
    if you want an image you can put list-style-type: url(put your image path/filename here);

Add this and see if it gives you the indent you want list-style-position:inside;

See if that helps.

If not, this is a very good article about how to style lists.

Thanks a lot. You helped solved my problem Much appreciated

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Well, we're here to help. It's nice when it works out - that's what the "Like" button is for...
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads