Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I have two web pages that are not displaying correctly:
    http://www.1728.com/fontlttr.htm
    http://www.1728.com/fontsymb.htm

The first page is supposed to be displaying roughly 100 different font types (all of which are on my computer) but some of those appear as the default font Courier New.

The second page should display font symbol types but it only presents 50 per cent as symbols and the others as plain text.

These always displayed properly on my computer but no longer. (I have no idea the last time I actually visited those pages).

I've tried putting document declarations on these but with no success.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The problem may well be in the way that page is coded.
    Try something like this in CSS:
    Code:
    div#andale-mono {font-family:  "Andale Mono", "Courier New"}
    Code:
    <div id="andale-mono">All your letters and numbers and stuff</div>
    The only problem if I'm right is that you'll have to repeat this process 100 times for all of your fonts.

The other issue I see relates to character encoding. Try this tag and see if it works any better.

One or the other should do it, at any rate.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If I remember correctly, defining the specific font name out in the divs will only work on font's installed on your ( or visitors computer )... That's why it works on your local computer for you...

That is why all the "FONT" sites use images of the font's to display them instead of the actual font..

If a visitor opens the page and does not have a particular font, the closest font will be displayed...

Serif fonts will be displayed typically by the courier set, as it's already on almost every PC.. where as San-Serif Fonts will be displayed by Arial or Helevetica ( Windows/Mac )...

IE did have a way to actually embed font sets into a page, so when a visitor called the page, the font would display correctly even if you did not have that particular font installed on your PC. But there were massive "copyright issues", and it was scaled back to only work with certain "certified" fonts... I don't know if it's still even supported...

Never personally saw a benefit from it... but I'm sure there are some to some people...

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Code:
    I don't know if it's still even supported...
    Are you talking about @font-face, which is part of the CSS3 draft spec, and is currently supported by every major browser?
    link
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    The strange thing about this is that all fonts and all symbols would always show up on my computer and yes I have always had those fonts. I wrote those about 10 years ago and those would always display properly. I've tried experimenting a little more with document declarations (including some of your suggestions) and have had no success.
    Rather than spending any more time with this I have decided that one possible solution would be to display these as a graphic. One problem being that a web page consisting of these graphics would probably be about half a meg. Anyway it might take a little while to set that up but I'll let you folks know when it has been uploaded.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The other option you may want to consider would be Cufon. It would take about the same amount of time to set up, but might be more useful and possibly less resource-intensive. Mind you, with 100 different fonts, I haven't got a clue how Cufon will perform (be interested to find out, though.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 205182
    Code:
    I don't know if it's still even supported...
    Are you talking about @font-face, which is part of the CSS3 draft spec, and is currently supported by every major browser?
    link

nope... not @font-face

it was a MS ( WEFT )... and it was only supported in IE Browsers... but basically degraded to standard fonts in other browsers... since the MS page that is still online for WEFT3 has not been updated since APR 2009, assume it's dead....

the @font-face will help in some instances... but like the "blink" tag... I can already feel my eyes hurting...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Blink sucks. It's all about the marquee tag.
    Ronald Roe likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 205312
    Blink sucks. It's all about the marquee tag.
    What if you used both? I'm afraid to try. I'm pretty sure either Tim Berners-Lee would judo chop my face, or the entire interwebs would collapse into a black hole.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    http://www.adamwebdesign.ca/wdf/blin...rquee-tag.html

I am probably going to Hell for the web page atrocity I have just committed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads