Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    rite i wanna know how you ppl do your layout for your site profesionally.

heres how a friend told me to do mine...

1) draw it on photoshop if need be or even on paper
    #) print it off if u did it on photoshop
    2)draw your colums and lines in
    3)workout how many colums ur going to need and then rows
    (for example 10 rows and 5 colums.)
    4)now on dreamweaver make those colums and cells..
    5)merge the cells which need merging and set colspan and rowspan in the cells which need to be done..
    then add images etc.. and wollah

The reason i ask is cuz i've just recently started using cells in my layout... and i did just keep making new tables for each row until i realised - thats a lot of code = more time = confusing browsers = crap site which wont work.
    So i started using the <TD ROWSPAN="2" COLSPAN="3"> etc... and well if i make the cells 1 at a time on notepad its going to be a bit weird cuz i wont know how many cells the first cell will span if there isnt any cells underneith .. did u understand that ?

so i explained that to a friend and well the list up top is wot he came up wiv.. so any suggestions plz..
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Lame...tell your friend he smokes to much weed!

If you use photoshop to design your layout take it a step further and slice it up in image ready. See the little button at the bottom of the toolbar in photoshop? click that and it will open your ps file in image ready. Then take the xacto looking knife tool and start whackin'. Well, maybe not whacking...but slice the image up into workable pieces (buttons, images, etc.). Then go to file>save optimized as:

here you tell image ready how to save the slices, and there's a handy option to save it as html also...once you've done that it's all done. open up the html file in dreamweaver and BAM! all your tables are done, and looking so pretty! Give it a shot! Let us know how you do

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    i know how to do that lol and i really want to make it from scratch im really gettin into webdesign now and im starting php once i've got these tables done and dusted..

and i do use image rdy to slice it up but only for my images.. so how do the pro's do it ?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    that is how the pros do it

Member #
    Yup. No reason to do more work than is necessary (not that I'm a pro). But you can spend hours banging the code out by hand if you want. 99.9% of your visitors will never know how the page was made, so it's basically useless.

Member #
    Thats how I do it, I find I usually need to take some images out and mess around with it,
    also you need to set images as background in the various cells- otherwise you cant type over them.

The was I used to make my sites was:

Make the header image, make the nav images and then bump them all together, that wasnt brilliant.

There isn't a "Professional" or "Proper" way to do any site, just do it they way it works best for you, and they way it looks best for your viewers.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    here's the completed page header and open it on sommin like dreamweaver to see the cell layout ..

god im happy wen code comes 2gether ..

its as i dont have my nav moving around etc.. it's just nested tables

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Whew thats one pretty white page
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

Member #
    It's an abstract piece, it represents what men know about women. :-p

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Originally posted by GrandmasterB
    that is how the pros do it
    I guess that makes me a noob. I don't even know HOW to slice an image. Never really tried. I've gotten as far as placing the slice areas in image ready... but i'm pretty much lost from there.

I do it pretty much the way kirman outlined... except I rarely draw out the entire site in photoshop anymore... i'll usually draw out the basics on paper... 5 or 6 iterations thereof... then I'll make a basic layout in illustrator to see the actual proportions on screen. Finally, I'll create the HTML and fill in images one at a time.

Here's a work in progress: http://www.stevenmoseley.com/ifg... right now there are a lot of missing images, but the basic outline is in place.

One thing that I'm really anal about is units and proportions. I usually use base units of 12 or 10 and make everything a multiple thereof.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads