Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi everyone,
    I have a HTML [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]webpage[/COLOR] written in XHTML 1.0 using CSS.

I've tried hosting the webpage on both a Windows and [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]Linux[/COLOR] CPanl system with the same result and that is the webpage just doesn't structure at all, it's all over the place in Firefox, Chrome, IE 9. But it does look as expected when IE 9 is in compatibility mode or when viewed from IE 8 in normal and compatibility mode.

However, if I open the .html file locally on my computer the [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]webpages [/COLOR]structure perfectly in every browser I throw at it. The only prompt I get is from IE 9 reading 'Internet Explorer restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX controls' then I just click 'Allow Content' and it's fine, I think this is probably just a IE 9 local security setting and nothing to worry about but just thought I'd throw it in encase it gives someone a hint.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    URL is http://www.soulparentsurvivor.com/
    Long story short another company has developed it so I don't know any of the developement phase at all, they didn't get along with the site owner and now I'm trying to help them get it online.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Do you have Flash and/or Javascript running on your page?

What happens when you upload it to a web server?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Yes there is some Javascript and when it's upload to a webserver it doesn't structure properly. Have a look at the URL in the orginal thread and you will see what I mean.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Hi, if you use absolute links for the .css .jss etc does that make any difference?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Looks like you lifted it from someone else using a bot. That might be part of your problem right there, depending on what you're seeing, although it seems to render okay in IE8 for some reason (usually bot issues like this tend to be IE-specific.) That bot will absolutely destroy a site if you try to use it sometimes, although in my case, it led to a funny story when a former client tried to get their own shopping cart from my server without paying for it...BURN! Looks like you tried to do the same thing with these people because the cart itself isn't working, and you're going to have to rebuild that part.

I'm not even sure why you need to run that particular bot. If the site's on that domain, the old site presumably should have been, unless the web development company that did it before kept it on their domain.

What you're going to want to do is grab any CSS/Javascript/image files, although it mostly looks like CSS that is throwing the thing off, and then put them into subfolders of your current site. Then alter the tags containing those files and images to reflect their new paths. Now, the exact steps you take to do this will depend on the files you need to grab and where you put them, but that's what you need to do. And then you'll need to rebuild that cart.

To be totally honest, if I were the owner, I'd try sucking up my opinion of the old guys long enough to get a working site online and uploaded to his server. It will probably cost him less to do that than it will for you to try and fix this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    The shopping cart is fine, that will be run through paypal and I've already got that in place but thought I would try and get their original site atleast structuring before I tamper with the code to much. Basically the web developing company want to charge $50 a month to host the webpage, as we all know that cost is more like what we should be paying for a year. This is the reason the client doesn't want it hosted with the developer.
    Now this is the developers second release, the first one wouldn't even 'structure' in offline mode so I wouldn't be suprised if it's a problem with the code. The company said the problem with their first release was that their export tool basically broke it; are you saying that my current problems could also be related to a bad export?

If so, what gives you this indication? I can always return to the developer because we have paid in full to have a working webpage but have just cancelled the monthly hosting side of it.
    or are you saying the problem is actually related to my CSS and JavaScript files not being within a subfolder of where my index is located? The case now is that in my root I basically have 3 folders, I have to go into one folder to access the index and the rest of the webapge then the index (and other pages) have to call back to the root and into a second of the three folders to access the CSS + Javascript, if that makses sense?
    Thanks for your time

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This is bot code:
    Code:
    <!-- Mirrored from ronan.thewebshowroom.com.au/ by HTTrack Website Copier/3.x [XR&CO'2008], Fri, 13 May 2011 00:30:54 GMT --> <!-- Added by HTTrack --><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8"><!-- /Added by HTTrack -->
    HTTrack is a spider used to copy a website for...well, I haven't really come across a good reason yet myself. But this is what it does.

I'm not sure if this is what they're using for an "export tool" (I don't even really know what they're talking about when they refer to an "export tool"), but I can't see that being the case. If that is the case...well, they're idiots on top of thieves, which is probably why they're charging $50 a month to host the web page.

The HTTrack spider basically goes and does what you would do if you saved a web page offline, only it messes things up in the process. It uses relative paths to things without downloading the associated files, including images, and it just makes a mess out of things. I'm not sure if it was you or them who ran HTTrack, but either way...someone did something extraordinarily dumb.

You can still cancel the hosting and ask for the files before HTTrack was run on them. Now, whether or not they surrender them is a different story, but you can ask for them.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooklie, post: 206023
    Yes there is some Javascript and when it's upload to a webserver it doesn't structure properly. Have a look at the URL in the orginal thread and you will see what I mean.
    Has anyone else noticed that IE9 blocks any and all JS by default? What kinda crap is that? Granny will shut down every website she visits if her grandson makes the mistake of updating IE for her.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Haven't tried IE9 yet, but I really hope against hope that you're wrong, Ronald. If not, that's going to be a huge failure on IE's part.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I hope I'm wrong too. All I know is I've had to "allow" every JS I've used. I haven't tried it for anything else yet...
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads