Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey all,

Got a question for you, which hopefully someone will know the fix for.

I have stuck a footer to the bottom of the page on my site so that unless moved down by content it always sticks to the bottom of the screen and is in view using the following CSS.

.wrapper {
    min-height: 100%
    height: auto !important;
    height: 100%;
    margin: 0 auto -80px;
    }

.footer, .push {
    height: 80px;
    }

Have a look at the homepage of this site for an example.

www.ddvdesigns.com

The problem is that this only works in Chrome, Firefox and Safari however it appears the 80px below the bottom of the page in IE.

Anyone got any ideas on how I could fix this??

Thanks,
    John

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I would actually say that IE took the correct path here. There's nothing whatsoever that indicates that you want the footer on the bottom of the page in your CSS. IE just put things in the order that it saw them. While it didn't give you the result you were expecting and FF/Chrome did, I wouldn't say that's an IE issue.

The only consistent way to ensure that something appears on the bottom of a page is via the use of fixed positioning. Basically, fixed positioning "fixes" an element to an area of the page so that it shows up there regardless of the size of the page and whether or not there's a vertical scroll bar.

In your particular case, you should be doubly considering fixed positioning just so people are more likely to find your menu. Putting your main menu in the footer like that is a really bad idea, since people generally don't look for primary navigation in the footer. They may put a secondary navigation there, but not the primary one.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 139)]position[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]:[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]absolute[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)];[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 139)]bottom[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]:[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(128, 0, 0)]0px[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)];[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]
    [/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 139)]width[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]:[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(128, 0, 0)]100%[/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)];[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]
    [/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]I agree with TheGame about navigation locations... studies show that most peoples eyes look toward the top or the left of the page to find navigation... and if it's not readily evident that it's a link... they HIT the "back button"...[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]bottom navigation is fine and expected for common "in-site" navigation links, like "About", "FAQ's", "news", etc... but your main navigation should be where people expect it to be... ( or I agree with the big brain people on this one )[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    LMAO!

I love "the big brain people"!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads