Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello. I wondered if you'd be able to help me understand why my sidebar on this page is not extending the grey background of #blog.I've been trying for ages to sort it out with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Tom.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Assuming I understand the question...
    Code:

#sidebar
    { background-color:white; /* remove this line from your CSS */ padding:20px;
    }
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for your reply.
    No, I want #blog to extend so as to not hide the rest of the #sidebar

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Ahhh. Now I see what you mean.

The problem that you're experiencing is one of the more common ones in web design i.e. you're using absolute/relative positioning when you don't have to. Whenever you use absolute positioning, you break the flow of your document. That means that the item you're positioning can do strange things like what you're seeing.

What you want to use instead are floats. Floats are a way of moving things to the left and the right.
    tjphop likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I had tried floating them before, but it hadn't worked. But I tried it again, and now it has. So thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Good time to put this reminder in again...

when working with CSS... and you make a change to your CSS and the expected change doesn't happen... close all your browsers ( especially IE ).... and re-open them...( I've only seen this once in Firefox... never in Chrome )

it's an anomaly that I noticed back in IE 6.... can't explain it...can't find it documented anywhere... I'm thinking it's something to do with the way IE caches "external" style sheets... but I've seen it numerous times... and now... just out of reflex... I will kill all browser sessions... and re-open... then if the code doesn't work...I know my code has a problem...

I normally have 2 browsers open when testing... IE and one of the "standards" complaint browsers...so if I see the change happen in the other... and NOT IE... I know it's time to kill IE... and start it again.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tjphop, post: 212461
    I had tried floating them before, but it hadn't worked. But I tried it again, and now it has. So thanks!
    There's a reason for this.

60% of the time it works...every time! FANTANA!
    Webzarus likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Webzarus: what happens with IE when you hit CTRL-F5?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Nothing different than pressing the refresh button... I've only seen this behavior on external sheets... thats why I normally ( during initial layout )... Keep the CSS and HTML together... Once I get to the point of building navigation... Header and footer content... I move the CSS to an external file...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Weird...I've never encountered that with IE.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads