Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    This is my first attempt at designing something with a separate stylesheet, and I'm having different problems in every browser:

http://catherineandchloe.co.uk/chloelace.html

(Ignore the badly drawn header - it's just a placeholder.)

Google Chrome: Twitter button link at the right of the top menu doesn't work (I'm thinking my CSS menu broke it somehow, as it highlights the 'About' link when I click on it.)

Firefox: Facebook and Twitter buttons don't even show up.

IE: Drop-down menu doesn't work. Facebook and Twitter buttons work perfectly but the div containing them is one pixel off from the rest of the menu. AddThis buttons don't appear in the footer.

Could anyone please advise?

Member #
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]Also -[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]Safari: Twitter button doesn't work[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]Safari on iPhone: dropdowns don't work, twitter button doesn't work, menu 1 pixel off[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]I've just been informed that <ul id="navigation" class="horizontal"> is covering the Twitter button but not sure how to get it out from under there. Also been pointed at [/COLOR]http://validator.w3.org and trying to [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]make sense of output...[/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Honestly, I think you've overcomplicated your code. That's all that this is.

What I would do is rebuild your menu. Start with the first tier. Get it working. And then add the second tier. I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but there's so much going on with this menu that doesn't need to be that diagnosing everything going on with it would take more time than a scratch rebuild.
    Lucky3 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    another issue that you have looking at the code is that your using a mixture of tables and <div>'s to code your site. I suggest recoding with Div's and .class's this may fix 90% of your issues here. Tables are used for data only.. not to hold websites :P

Also to get a starting point on the markup through w3c make sure your in [COLOR=rgb(31, 33, 38)]Transitional rather than strict. This will fix most of your markup issues.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(31, 33, 38)]
    [/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(31, 33, 38)]Dont have spaces in between image names use an _ (underscore) instead[/COLOR]
    Lucky3 likes this.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Thanks both. I've taken out some of the tables and redone the menu, and it's working in most browsers, but IE is still giving me gyp. The dropdowns don't work, the menu is bizarrely smaller than the header image despite being the exact same width in every other browser, and my AddThis buttons aren't showing up in the footer. Any advice would be welcome.

http://catherineandchloe.co.uk/index2.html

Also - I made the menu using free software from http://cssmenutools.com and the 'catch' in the free version of their products is that all the links in the menus redirect to their site. I thought I could go into the code and edit out the redirect, but it's buried in javascript and I don't know my arse from my elbow in javascript. I can see roughly where it is but my attempts to cut it out just break the menu. Embarrassing. Can anyone help?

http://catherineandchloe.co.uk/cssme...cripts/mthm.js

Thanks again...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    ...and this is why you should never use free code samples. They usually suck, and this is no exception. Not really your fault, by the way, but you should learn how to code things yourself and not have to rely on the code sample to do it for you.

In the case of this particular code sample, there is no easy way to fix the problem. The problem is that all of the URLs are assigned by this line in the .JS file that's created:
    Code:
    if(href)it.href='http://www.cssmenutools.com/component/content/article/98.html'
    In order to fix that, you'd have to hack the thing to the point where each line would be generated individually, and that would take a ridiculously bloated piece of code and bloat it that much more.

Honestly, dude, the only answer you're going to get is the one you can give yourself. Learn how to do what you want, from scratch, by taking a small piece of this at a time. Get the horizontal menu working, then mess with the first submenu, get that working, mess with the second submenu, and so on and so on. By the time you're done hacking pieces of crap like this, you'll be better off doing it yourself...and you'll have learned something in the process.
    Lucky3 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Okay, that wasn't what I wanted to hear but it was what I needed to hear, and I'm now almost sorted.

The only real problem remaining is that my AddThis buttons still don't show up in IE. Any ideas?

Also, if I'm being picky about the menu:

The gap to the left of each button turns blue on mouseover. Hardly visible but I'd like to get rid of it.

I don't particularly like the horizontal line between dropdowns being thicker than all the others - any way to make it 1px or get rid of it altogether?

Thanks again for all your help on this...

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky3, post: 212796
    Okay, that wasn't what I wanted to hear but it was what I needed to hear, and I'm now almost sorted.

The only real problem remaining is that my AddThis buttons still don't show up in IE. Any ideas?

Also, if I'm being picky about the menu:

The gap to the left of each button turns blue on mouseover. Hardly visible but I'd like to get rid of it.

I don't particularly like the horizontal line between dropdowns being thicker than all the others - any way to make it 1px or get rid of it altogether?

Thanks again for all your help on this...
    That is possibly the rollover container is juuusssstttt slightly bigger than the original container, check that see if thats the case... It may be worth removing the border around it and seeing if that corrects the issue too..

View my company Website

Member #
    Thanks m3n0tu18 - it's not the rollover size as far as I can see (though maybe I've missed something) and I don't want to lose the border. Just noticed the site I adapted the code from has the same problem: http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/basic_dd.html - it's hard to see but on mouseover, the white line to the right of the button disappears, but the left one stays put.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky3, post: 212801
    Thanks m3n0tu18 - it's not the rollover size as far as I can see (though maybe I've missed something) and I don't want to lose the border. Just noticed the site I adapted the code from has the same problem: http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/basic_dd.html - it's hard to see but on mouseover, the white line to the right of the button disappears, but the left one stays put.
    Is the rollover color an image? if it is make it a slice of about 10px by the height of the container and put it as a background image.

View my company Website

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads