Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am working on a layout for a local guy here:

http://abhudsonknives.com/

Before I proceed with any more, I need help getting past a big hurdle. The layout loads fine with Firefox and Chrome, but not with IE 8. Unfortunately I still work with tables. I am planning on integrating to DIVs soon, but need more practice first.

Would anyone be able to give me some suggestions to fix so it loads correctly in IE 8?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, adammarleymtts, what was the point of that statement? The OP didn't ask which browser to use, but how to fix a browser-specific problem. Read the question before you answer it.

AMWoolsey, even though your issue only occurs in IE8, the problem is actually a code issue. It's not the tables, either (although you're absolutely right about wanting to convert to CSS layouts at some point):

Your problem is this:
    Code:
    style="width: 1366; height: 768;"
    You're missing the "px", and browsers are either guessing that you meant pixels, or in the case of IE ignoring the measurement completely. It should read:
    Code:
    style="width: 1366px; height: 768px;"
    You'll have to correct this in every instance.

By the way, you'll want to look at the size of your page as well. I'm guessing you designed it for widescreen users, but if you're on 1366x768 resolution, you'll still see a horizontal scrollbar because 1366 x 768 includes a vertical one in the case of IE. So you'll want to cut that to 1004 pixels wide if you can (1024 x 768 resolution, with the scrollbar accounted for). I know that's not the question you asked, but in the interest of helping, that's why I posted it...that, and I already answered the question being asked, so I can do that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    That fixed the problem. Also, thanks for your suggestion. I might play with that to see how it looks.

Member #
    Fortunately, the owner of the site is in no hurry. Knifemaking is his side work. I want to talk to him about setting up a business facebook & a section for his 10 year-old son, who also makes knives.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    A 10-year-old that makes knives? Well, I guess if he's trained responsibly that's okay.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I just checked the site in Opera (ugh I hate that browser) and it's very messed up, specifically the bottom portion of the site. Just something you might want to check out.

Member #
    Could you print screen what you mean? The bottom doesn't look unusual on my screen.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Left=Firefox
    Right=Opera
    abhudsonknives.png

Remove Ads